Arrest warrant issued in Ricky Lillie murder investigation

Iowa City Police sent out a press release Wednesday saying an arrest warrant was issued for Curtis Cortez Jones charging him with murder in the first degree for the death of cab driver Ricky Lillie.

Lillie, an Iowa City resident, worked for Yellow Cab of Iowa City.

The release stated Jones entered Lillie’s cab on June 27 and took an uninterrupted cab ride to the 500 block of Ernest Street. Jones then shot Lillie in the head and surveillance video observed Jones leaving the location where Lillie was found.

Ricky Ray Lillie’s photo taken from his taxi badge. Lillie was an employee of Yellow Cab of Iowa City. He was found dead in his cab early in the morning of Wednesday, June 28.

Jones was taken into custody in Mount Pleasant on Friday, June 30 for an arrest warrant for a parole violation and taken into custody at the Keokuk County Jail.

The release said Jones is currently being held in the Washington County Jail pending the resolution of theft charges and a parole violation issued by the Keota Police Department. He will be transported to the Johnson County Jail in Iowa City for the murder charge at a later date.

This investigation remains ongoing by the Iowa City Police Department.

RELATED: Yellow Cab releases statement on deceased driver

—Gage Miskimen