Hawkeye softball adds transfer pitcher to roster

Iowa softball head coach Marla Looper announced that Iowa will add Makenzie Ihle to its pitching roster for the 2017-18 season. (GoSycamores.com)

Tuesday afternoon, Iowa softball head coach Marla Looper announced that Iowa will add Makenzie Ihle to its pitching roster for the 2017-18 season.

Ihle is a transfer from Indiana State. Before that she played at DMACC.

During this past season with Indiana State, she made 37 appearances on the mound, with 30 starts and 17 wins.

Throughout her time with the Sycamores, she pitched nine complete games and two shutouts, and she recorded one save.

She racked up 128 strikeouts in the 2017 season.

While she was at DMACC, Ihle led her team to two Juco World Series and a record of 103-108. In 2016, she had a total of 345 strikeouts over a span of 34 starts with a 1.28 ERA. She also set a school record of 31 wins.

With the departure of recent graduate Shayla Starkenburg, who was one of Iowa’s prominent pitchers, Ihle might have be just what the Hawkeyes need.

“We are excited to have Kenzie join our Hawkeye family,” Looper said in a release. “She will give us more depth and experience on the mound. She has had great success early in her collegiate career and we look forward to seeing her compete in the Big Ten.”

— Jess Westendorf