Children’s Hospital ranked

FILE – In this file photo, the University of Iowa Stead Family Children’s Hospital on Saturday, November 5, 2016. (Olivia Sun/The Daily Iowan)

The University of Iowa Stead Family Children’s Hospital opened in February, and already, U.S. News & World Report ranks it in six specialties in its online 2017-18 Best Children’s Hospitals list.

This is slightly down from last year, when eight specialties made the list before the new hospital opened its doors.

The Children’s Hospital’s rankings come in at 34 in cancer, 48 in cardiology/heart surgery, 20 in neonatology, 21 in nephrology, 45 in pulmonology, and 36 in urology, according to a news release.

Clinical data and an annual survey of pediatric specialists were used to compile the rankings. According to the news release, the methodology “considers mortality and infection rates, efficiency and coordination of care delivery and compliance with ‘best practices.’ ”

“We are honored to continue to be ranked as one of the top children’s hospitals in the United States and the only hospital in Iowa to be nationally ranked for children’s health care,” said Raphael Hirsch, the physician-in-chief of the Children’s Hospital and head of the Pediatrics Department, in the news release. “This recognition is a true testimonial to our expertise in pediatric medicine and our continued commitment to children and their families.”

Scott Turner, the executive director of the Children’s Hospital, said in the news release that the rankings — combined with the hospital’s opening — illustrate a commitment to providing advanced health care to Iowa children.

“This honor is a reflection of the outstanding care and service provided by our doctors, nurses, and staff to the patients and their families every single day,” Turner said.