Group pushes energy audits

By Natalie Betz

Green Iowa AmeriCorps promoted its free energy audits at the Iowa City Senior Center on Thursday.

In 2009, Green Iowa AmeriCorps began at Northern Iowa University, and in August 2016, the group added a new location in Iowa City, said Emily Mueller, the marketing head of the local AmeriCorps.

The mission of the nonprofit organization, according to the Green Iowa AmeriCorps website, is to make sure they are “helping make Iowans more energy efficient through low-impact home weatherization, energy education, and community outreach.”

In Iowa City, the group has completed more than 100 energy audits as of the beginning of May, Mueller said.

“There are limits, but we will help upgrade homes to the best of our ability,” said Kai Hedstrom, the education coordinator for Green Iowa AmeriCorps.

The organization checks gas lines for leakage as well as furnaces for carbon dioxide, Mueller said. They also help people switch to more sustainable light bulbs, check to ensure crawlspaces have the appropriate amount of microglass, and conduct blower door tests.

“What sets us apart from competing organizations is that we conduct blower door tests,” Mueller said.

According to the Green Iowa AmeriCorps website, “The blower door test is specialized equipment used to quantify the air leakage caused by any gaps, cracks, or openings in a home’s envelope.”

The free energy audits are funded partially by the federal AmeriCorps organization, while the rest is funded by the city of Iowa City and Green Iowa AmeriCorps, Mueller said.

Because the organization is partially funded by the city, some people are not supportive, Mueller said.

However, there has been a lot of discussion on where to get money, how to fund the organization, and how money will be used in the future.

It costs the city a fairly low amount to support the organization, Mueller said. People seem to like the free audits, she said.

Hedstrom said the services are only available to Iowa City residents. The program does not include other towns in the county because it is funded by the city of Iowa City.

“I expected a little more from the presentation. There wasn’t much substance,” said Phyllis Black, a Johnson County community member. “It’s worthwhile to lots of people in Iowa City, but I live in Johnson County.”

Black said she will return for future presentations because she thinks the program is good.

The group plans on continuing next year despite a scare that there would not be enough money to keep the organization running, Hedstrom said.

Beginning in late May or early June, the group is conducting more presentations about plants and invasive species at the Senior Center.

“Increasing overall energy efficiency saves a lot of money in the long run,” Hedstrom said.