2 senior golfers ready to bow out

Carson Schaake drives the ball of the tee at Finkbine Golf Course on Saturday April 16, 2016. Iowa tied for second in the Hawkeye Invitational. (The Daily Iowan/ Alex Kroeze)

Raymond Knoll and Carson Schaake leave the Iowa men’s golf team in high regard. The two have led the team over the past four years.

They’ve been key factors in Iowa finishing in the top five at the Big Ten Championships and qualifying for regionals.As a sophomore, Schaake won the Big Ten Championships as an individual, calling it “one of the greatest experiences [he’s] been involved in.”

He finished his sophomore season with a 71.17 strokes per-round average, which ranks as the second-best season average in Hawkeye history.

Schaake was named first-team All-Big Ten honoree and named to the Division I PING All-Midwest Regional Team in both his sophomore and junior seasons.

One of his greatest memories as a Hawkeye was this year when he got to compete on the same team as his brother Alex.

“Getting to play together on the same team for a year has been amazing,” Carson Schaake said. “Being a Hawkeye is a feeling that is unexplainable. I feel pride to say that I attended this university.”

For Knoll, his best memory comes from the John Deere Classic. He was able to play a practice round with former teammate Stephen Ihm and pro golfer Jordan Speith.

“That week [is] something I’ll never forget,” Knoll said.

He was also an exceptionally decorated Hawkeye, being named to the Division I PING All-Midwest Regional Team back-to-back years in 2015 and 2016. Twice Knoll was named to second-team All-Big Ten (once as a sophomore and most recently this past spring, alongside teammate Matthew Walker).

“Iowa golf has meant the world to me,” Knoll said. “Representing this university is something I will never take for granted.”

Both Iowa seniors will pursue pro careers in golf starting this summer, eager to chase their dreams of becoming pro golfers.

“I have no idea where I will be in a few years, but playing my cards on the professional level and being able to compete against some of the best up-and-coming golfers is something I’ve dreamed about as a kid,” Knoll said. “You never know what will happen, but I’m excited to pursue my lifelong goal of making it [to] the PGA Tour.”

Schaake and Knoll leave the men’s golf team in good hands. Players such as Walker, Alex Schaake, and Jack Simpson have displayed talent these last few weeks, and they hope to continue their success.