Letter to editor: Walk for Dignity raises awareness of end-of-life issues

Contributed+photo+via+%40IowaCityHospice+Facebook+Page+
Contributed photo via @IowaCityHospice Facebook Page

On April 23 at 1 p.m., supporters of Iowa City Hospice will gather at Willow Creek Park for the annual Walk for Dignity. Iowa City Hospice is a community-based, not-for-profit organization whose mission is to provide end-of-life services and grief support to anyone affected by a terminal illness, regardless of ability to pay.

Iowa City Hospice receives payment for services from insurance providers, but not all patients have this coverage. The many gifts and financial support that we receive from the community allow us to provide the same level of quality care for everyone, regardless of their coverage. Last year, we provided 1,093 days of charity care to patients in our seven eastern Iowa counties: Johnson, Iowa, Cedar, Linn, Louisa, Muscatine, and Washington.

The Walk for Dignity is the primary fundraiser for Iowa City Hospice, but it also serves as an opportunity to raise awareness about end-of-life services, as well as celebrating the lives and honoring the memories of loved ones who have died. This year at the walk, there will be a Time of Remembrance ceremony at 11:30 a.m., which is open to anyone who has experienced a loss.

Iowa City Hospice exemplifies quality care to patients and families, with highly trained and experienced staff. The commitment to quality and innovative care is reflected in all that we do.

Please join us at the Walk for Dignity on April 23 with our 2017 Honorary Family, the Classy Chassy Cruisers, leading the way at 1 p.m. Sponsor a team, tie a ribbon in honor of a loved one, or simply make a tax-deductible gift to Iowa City Hospice. Visit our website for more information www.iowacityhospice.org.

— Todd Means

Iowa City Hospice Board of Directors