Baseball puts on the late show

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Alex
Iowa first baseman Jake Adams swings at a pitch during the game between South Dakota State/Iowa at Duane Banks Field on Tuesday, April 4, 2017. The Hawkeyes scored two runs in the bottom of the seventh to top the Jackrabbits 4-3. (The Daily Iowan/ Alex Kroeze)

By Adam hensley

Thirteen days ago, Iowa (18-9) was only two games above .500 for the season. Since then, things have changed.

“The better we play, the more confidence [we] get,” head coach Rick Heller said.

Now, the Hawkeyes ride a seven-game winning streak into a weekend matchup against Northwestern in Evanston, Illinois, for their second Big Ten series of the season.

2.14 runs in the eighth During the Hawkeyes’ streak, they have averaged a little more than 2 runs in the eighth inning.

Overall, Heller’s team flourishes in the clutch, averaging 3 runs in the game’s last three innings in the past seven games.

Time and time again, the coach praised his players for their resiliency and strength in late-game moments — the scorecard reinforces this notion.

Iowa has been in close games (contests decided by 2 runs or fewer) in four of its last five games. Only 1 run decided the past three games.

Iowa faced a deficit or a tied score in the seventh inning six times out of the past seven games. These late-game heroics include 4- and 5-run explosions in the eighth inning against Purdue and a walk-off winner in a three-run ninth inning against UNLV.

The Hawkeyes connect for an average of 2 hits per eighth inning during this stretch.

Daniels and Shimp — 5-0 

Pitchers Zach Daniel and Kyle Shimp accounted for five of Iowa’s seven wins. Daniels took three of the first five games during the winning streak, improving his record to 6-1 this season. He won on March 25 against Purdue and on March 28 against Grand View. His third win during the streak came against UNLV on April 1.

Against the Vikings, Daniels pitched 2.2 innings. Aside from shutting out Grand View while on the mound, he also threw 3 strikeouts and didn’t walk a single hitter.

Meanwhile, Shimp allowed only 2 runs in his 4 innings in the second game and seventh game against Purdue (March 26) and South Dakota State (April 4) in the run, moving to 3-0 this year.

Iowa needed its pitching unit to step up early in the season after former Saturday starter C.J. Eldred was sidelined for the remainder of the season with an elbow issue.

Adams goes yard 

Jake Adams, tied for the Big Ten lead with 11 home runs, drilled 3 home runs in the past five games of the winning streak.

Adams’ batting average went from .325 after Iowa’s loss against Purdue (after which the seven-game streak started) to .340 after the South Dakota State game.

His scoreboard-smacking home run against the Jackrabbits gave Iowa its first lead of the game in the third inning.

Illinois’ Pat McInerney shares the conference’s top home-run spot with Adams.

Closing time 

Iowa acknowledges it does not have a set closer, but Josh Martsching has quietly blossomed into the role, recording 2 of his 3 saves on the season in the past seven games.

Martsching made quick work of South Dakota State, retiring the first three batters in the ninth during Iowa’s 4-3 win on April 4.

He pitched two innings in Iowa’s 3-0 win over UNLV, striking out one and retiring six of the game’s last seven batters.