Guest Column

Students walk down the T. Anne Cleary Walkway in-between classes on December 2, 2015 at the university of Iowa. (Daily Iowan/Karley Finkel)

Dear UI community,

Our names are Jacob Simpson and Lilián Sánchez, and we are excited to launch Bridge UI, our campaign for president and vice president of the University of Iowa Student Government. Joining us in the effort are 34 students running for membership in the Student Senate. Over the next two weeks, we plan to meet thousands of students and hear their stories. What we learn will guide our work throughout our hopeful term in UISG.Bridge UI seeks to appreciate, acknowledge, and honor the unique identities and experiences of all UI students, as well as the administrators, faculty, and staff who surround them. We will focus on the holistic community in order to foster an improved student experience. Individualizing the student experience will be our priority, and we will provide space to share concerns. On April 9, attend our event “Poetry Slam: Stories of Transformation” to hear the stories of students who belong to underrepresented communities at UI. As performers share original poems and poems written by others, we will build community in a caring, supportive environment in which difference can be bridged with expression and understanding.

As student representatives, our mission is to provide a sturdy, long-lasting connection between members of the UI community and advocate for those members by bridging the gap between students, administrators, other institutions, and the state. We will work with elected officials at all levels of government to ensure that student concerns are kept at the forefront of their minds. It is our goal to channel the power of the collective student voice in order to make change that betters student living and learning.

Bridge UI will approach issues in thoughtful and innovative ways, and we will build on the progress of past student leaders by strengthening initiatives, resources, and solutions to concerns on campus. Our platform, which you can find on www.bridgeui.org, focuses on seven areas:

1. Campus Climate 2. Health & Safety 3. Affordability 4. Education 5. Sustainability 6. Student Organizations 7. Leadership & Engagement

From addressing cultural bias to advocating for secure off-campus housing, Bridge UI will address a host of issues with students’ interests at heart. We hope to adjust our platform based on the feedback we receive from students throughout the next two weeks, so take a look at what we hope to accomplish during our term, and let us know what you think. You can email us at [email protected].

Follow Bridge UI on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to stay up-to-date on our campaign. Finally, show your support by voting Bridge UI on April 12-13. Go to MyUI > Student Information > My Vote > Bridge UI.

—Sincerely, Jacob Simpson and 

Lilián Sánchez