Letter to the editor: Gender-identity questions

“S/he who ponders the law will bear fruit in due season.” (Psalm 1: 2-3)

If our civil-rights laws mandated that parents and/or guardians of anatomical male or female children must prohibit their child from making a gender identity change until the child reaches the “Age of Self Determination and Wisdom,” there would be no reason to deliberate any child’s civil rights.

Our laws relating to the “Age of Self Determination and Wisdom” vary according to the perceived consequences to self or others.
The “Age of Self Determination and Wisdom” for purchasing alcohol, tobacco, or other controlled substances is 21; for purchasing a marriage license is 18; for military service is 18; for obtaining a driver’s license is at least 16 and requires competency tests, and for purchasing guns is at least 16.

If these laws are for the purpose of protecting all citizens from children making indiscriminate choices, isn’t it more important to enact laws to protect children from making gender-identity choices prior to their “Age of Self Determination and Wisdom”?

Should every anatomical male or female who wants to engage in traditional gender-specific activities, garb, or roles be encouraged to make a gender-identity switch?

Laws restricting children from making gender-identity changes may benefit them by: reducing the threat of bullying, harassment, embarrassment, and violence; allowing a child time for professional consultation, and protecting a child from adults with gender-identity prejudices and/or sinister motives.

Every law determining the “Age of Self Determination and Wisdom” imposes consequences and may affect the decisions of legislators, judicial boards, organizations, institutions, clubs, associations, and individuals.

How might Civil Rights laws affect a transgender male or female who chooses to be admitted to a gender-specific institute, club, or organization?

Although Gender Identity choice must be the Civil Right of every adult we must deliberate how to define the “Age of Self Determination and Wisdom.”

“S/he who ponders the law will bear fruit in due season.” (Psalm 1:2-3)

Annamarie Marcalus OSF

Iowa City