Golfers struggle in San Diego

Iowa golfer Jessica Ip hits the ball at the Diane Thomason Invitational at Finkbine Golf Course on Saturday and Sunday Oct. 4-5, 2014. The Illinois Fighting Illini took first in the tournament, beating Iowa by 14 strokes. (The Daily Iowan/Margaret Kispert)

By Jess Westendorf

The Iowa women’s golf team wrapped up tournament play in 14th place overall at the 2017 SDSU March Mayhem Tuesday night at the Farm Golf Club in Ranch Santa Fe, California.

The Hawkeyes struggled on Day 1 of the tournament — the team fell to No. 26 San Diego State 3-2. Iowa tried to bounce back but was unsuccessful, falling to No. 25 Cal 3-2 in the second round.

“We had a really good week of competition and training,” head coach Megan Menzel said in a release. “We got many reps in, and we were able to get an honest look at our games.”

Two Hawkeyes were able to pull through and get a win for Iowa.

Freshman Sophie Liu defeated sophomore Marianne Li from Cal 3-and-2 in the second round of the tournament, while junior Elisa Suarez fought hard to defeat sophomore Amina Wolf 5-and-3.

On the flip side, most of the Hawkeye lineup faced disappointment throughout the rest of the tournament.

Senior Jessie Sindlinger could not pull through and fell to Cal’s junior Marthe Wold by two holes on the 17th hole in the second round.

Junior Jessica Ip came up short to freshman Maria Herraez Galvez. Galvez took the round with a four-up victory. Sophomore Kristin Glesne fought a close battle with Cal senior Lucia Gutierrez, but came up one shot shy of Gutierrez.

In the third round, Iowa saw some light as they defeated Yale, 4-1.

Four Hawkeyes ended the third round with sweeps, starting off with Suarez, who defeated Yale junior Sandy Wongwaiwate by two holes.

Glesne defeated sophomore Jayshree Sarathy, 3-and-2, while Ip pulled through against freshman Julie Luo, 6-and-4.

Sindlinger bounced back this round with a 1-up win over junior Elisabeth Bernabe.

Liu experienced her first loss against Yale’s sophomore Jennifer Peng, coming up 3 holes short with 2 left to play.

The final round was moved to Tuesday due to weather conditions, where Iowa fell short to No. 57 Idaho to finish 14th overall.

Glesne, Ip, and Suarez all fell in the fourth round against their competitors with the exception of Liu, who made even against Idaho’s freshman Danika Palm.

The Hawkeyes will now move forward and focus on hosting the Hawkeye-Tigre Invitational in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico on April 2-4.

“We are grateful for the courses we got to play and the chance to play for 12 days in a row over spring break,” Menzel said in a release. “Our team is looking forward to Mexico, and we continue to see a lot of growth in all of our players.”