Letter to the editor

Rep.+Steve+King%2C+R-Iowa%2C+speaks+at+the+Iowa+Faith+and+Freedom+Coalition+in+Des+Moines+on+Sept.+27%2C+2014.+
Margaret Kispert
Rep. Steve King, R-Iowa, speaks at the Iowa Faith and Freedom Coalition in Des Moines on Sept. 27, 2014.

To the editor:

I am deeply disturbed by recent comments made by Iowa Rep. Steve King, R-Iowa, about how the U.S. should not expect to populate the country with the children of “others.” I fail to see how he could think that such a remark should be uttered under any circumstances.
I don’t know King’s religious beliefs, but the people he represents are largely church-going folks and would be well acquainted with the song most of us learned in Sunday School: “Jesus loves the little children, ALL the little children of the world. Red and yellow, black and white, all are precious in his sight. Jesus loves the little children of the world.” Unless King is 100 percent Native American, some of his ancestors were “other” children at some point, too. I thought coming to these shores and being able to raise families was one of the things that made America great. Yet, he decries it.

Making distinctions about the origins of any of the world’s children is deeply un-Christian and hateful. The fact that he is unrepentant for those remarks is incomprehensible. He either has no faith or no conscience. Either way, he represents what is worst in human nature, and I am ashamed to be one of his constituents.

John Curbow,

Alta, Iowa