Women’s golfers head west

Iowa golfer Jessie Sindlinger celebrates after a putt at the Diane Thomason Invitational at Finkbine Golf Course on Saturday and Sunday Oct. 4-5, 2014. The Illinois Fighting Illini took first in the tournament, beating Iowa by 14 strokes. (The Daily Iowan/Valerie Burke)

After competing in the Entrada Classic over break the Iowa women’s golf team will return to action on Monday in the SDSU March Mayhem.

The tournament will be three days stretching from Monday through Wednesday at The Farms Golf Club.

The schedule has the first 36 holes set for Monday with Tuesday and Wednesday having only 18 holes each.

Iowa will go into the competition as the No. 13 seed out of 16.

The Hawkeyes had seven golfers make the cut for the trip out to California.

Jessie Sindlinger, Jessica Ip, Elisa Suarez, Morgan Kukla, Shawn Rennegarbe, Kristin Glesne, and Sophie Liu will take the course for Iowa’s lineup.

Although these are the Hawkeyes going, the order won’t be determined until the practice round the day before the tournament.

The SDSU March Mayhem will be hosted by The Farms Golf Club, which records a Par 72 and stretches 6,211 yards. The course is known to be a challenge with different holes crafted down the narrow fairways.

This will be the first year that Iowa competes at March Mayhem. In 2013 and 2014 USC has taken the team titles when the tournament was stroke play and as well in 2016 when the tournament was converted to match play.

The Hawkeyes have had a week break since their sixth place finish at the BYU Entrada Classic in Utah on March 13-14.

After this week’s tournament, Iowa will have another week off before traveling to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico for the first annual Hawkeye El-Tigre Invitational on April 2-4.

-Jess Westendorf