City to pick up compost

City to pick up compost

UI senior Juan Gudino (left) laughs with UI sophomore Jordan Samuel and UI senior Pedro Gutierrez after pricing a donated trash can while volunteering during Rummage in the Ramp on Wednesday. Rummage in the Ramp allows people an alternative to sending items to the landfill. It will continue on the bottom level of the Chauncey Swan parking ramp through Aug. 3. (The Daily Iowan/Joseph Cress)

Iowa City has announced that compost will be collected citywide beginning March 13.

According to a press release, “the new program will help divert some of the roughly 18,000 tons of food waste that reaches the Iowa City Landfill each year.”The statement reminds residents that they must supply their own 35-gallon container with an annual yard-waste sticker.

Residents of Iowa City are encouraged to compost many different types of materials, such as fruits, vegetables, meats, grains, and paper products such as pizza boxes.

“The city has been working toward reducing Landfill food waste for several years,” the release stated. “The city set new waste minimization targets as part of its STAR sustainability ratings goal last year and also participated in a pilot program through the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency in 2014 that allowed the city to test curbside food waste collection and helped make the new composting program possible.”

— by Charles Peckman

• City to pick up compost

Fire causes estimated $20,000 in damage to Iowa City residence

• City to pick up compost

VP Mike Pence joins Gov. Kim Reynolds as flooding in the midwest continues

• City to pick up compost

Crime/Courts

Person found dead in Iowa City car fire

• City to pick up compost

Rachael Johnson resigns from the Iowa Board of Regents

• City to pick up compost

UI Ph.D. student fell 500 feet to his death in Utah, authorities say

• City to pick up compost

UI Ph.D. student found dead in Utah’s Canyonlands National Park

• City to pick up compost

Campus free-speech bill heads to Iowa governor’s desk

• City to pick up compost

News

United Methodist Church faces backlash from local congregations

• City to pick up compost

UI finance students receive a new financial collaboration lab

• City to pick up compost

Politics

Iowa Legislature takes up concerns with student loans