Women’s golf finishes strong

By Jess Westendorf

The Iowa women’s golf team placed fifth among 13 teams at the Westbrook Spring Invitational in Peoria, Arizona, competing Sunday and Monday.

Iowa completed the last round with a final score of 287 (1-under) on the last 18 holes, tying for the third-best team score in Iowa history.

The team’s overall final score of 873 (9-over) ties the program’s fourth-best finish in history.

“This was a great team effort this week,” head coach Megan Menzel said in a release. “They finished strong yesterday and today, and Jessie [Sindlinger]’s eagle on the final hole came in clutch.”

Iowa’s lineup fought hard and finished strong, as freshman Sophie Liu led the way for the Hawkeyes and completed the tournament with a 10th-place finish. Liu’s even-par 72 on the last 18 holes earned her a new 54-hole career-best of 215 (1-under).

Junior Jessica Ip and senior Sindlinger tied for 16th. Ip carded an even-par 72 in the final round to end the tournament with an overall total of 216. Sindlinger came out hot in the final round and shot a 2-under par to get her an even 216.

Both Ip and Sindlinger tied the seventh-best 54-hole score in Iowa’s history.

“We had [a] strong finish as a team,” Sindlinger said in a release. “Westbrook is always a fun tournament, especially with all the Hawkeye fans that come out to support. We’ve been focusing on our composure and attitudes throughout our rounds and being positive, and I think that really showed today.”

Sophomores Kristin Glesne and Shawn Rennegarbe rounded out Iowa’s lineup on Monday afternoon. Glense placed 59th overall with a 230, and Rennegarbe tied for 63rd with a 231. 

The Hawkeyes will have a bye week before the team heads to St. George, Utah, to participate in the Entrada Classic on March 13-14.

“The team is beginning to hit their stride and getting more comfortable each week,” Menzel said in the release. “We are looking forward to spring break and some good training and competitive opportunities.”