UI provost named new president of Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University

UI Executive Vice President and Provost Barry Butler listens to testimonies given during the Academics United protest on the Pentacrest on Thursday, Feb. 9, 2017. Several of University of Iowa student organizations got together to protest the

UI Executive Vice President and Provost Barry Butler listens to testimonies given during the Academics United protest on the Pentacrest on Thursday, Feb. 9, 2017. Several of University of Iowa student organizations got together to protest the "extreme vetting" of several foreign nations. (The Daily Iowan/Margaret Kispert)

Marissa Payne, [email protected]

University of Iowa Executive Vice President and Provost P. Barry Butler will make a move from the Midwest to Florida to serve as the sixth president of Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University.

Butler has served in several leadership positions in the UI since joining as a an associate professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering in 1984. He served as the dean of the UI College of Engineering prior to becoming an interim provost in October 2010, and was later appointed the position as provost in May 2011, according to the UI Office of Provost website.

“Our loss is clearly Embry-Riddle’s gain,” UI President Bruce Harreld said in a UI press release. “Barry has been a central member of our university for decades and his service has impacted tens of thousands students, faculty, and staff.”

Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University’s Board of Trustees appointed Butler to the position unanimously during a Tuesday meeting at the university’s headquarters, according to a press release from the university. Butler is set to start his new position in Florida on March 13.

“I’m thrilled to be named Embry-Riddle’s next president and look forward to building upon the outstanding global reputation of the university,” Butler said in the Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University press release. “The energy and passion of the faculty, students, staff and Board members I’ve met throughout the interview process made it clear I’m joining a very special institution.”

Harreld said the UI “will immediately begin conversations with shared governance and academic leadership regarding next steps.”

Marissa Payne, Managing Editor

Email: [email protected]

Twitter: @marissa42_

Marissa Payne is the Managing Editor of The Daily Iowan. She started working at the DI her...

• UI provost named new president of Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University

Regents to discuss $8.5 million Hillcrest renovation request

UI asking Iowa regents to reconsider Labor Center closure

UI Hospitals & Clinics staffers send ‘valentines’ to CEO, demanding new contract

Faculty attend first Vice President for Research forum

Staff Council weighs decision to pursue public-private partnership for utilities

UI Faculty Senate addresses potential public-private partnership

Measure aims to exempt private businesses from textbook sales tax

Free-speech bill moving through Iowa Senate following court ruling against UI

UI exploring public-private partnership for utility system

Montserrat Fuentes, final UI provost candidate, discusses retention, opportunity