Women’s track

Iowa’s Montayla Holder walks across the infield after the women’s 400 meter hurdles at the 2016 Drake Relays in Des Moines on Friday, April 29, 2016. Holder placed 4th in 58.64. (The Daily Iowan/Brooklynn Kascel)

By Jacob Miller

1. Michigan

Michigan is ranked No. 12 in the U.S. Track & Field and Cross-Country Coaches Association poll, and it is the second-highest ranked team in the Big Ten. Michigan competed in the Simmons-Harvey Invitational, won four events, and had 15 athletes set personal records.

2. Purdue

The coaches rank Purdue No. 10. The Boilermakers finished second in the Big Ten indoor meet last season, but Indiana upset them, 73-62, in a dual meet Jan. 14. That prevented them from getting the top spot here.

3. Penn State

The Nittany Lions finished third in the 2016 Big Ten indoor championship. Penn State competed in the Nittany Lion Challenge Jan. 14 and had some superb performances, one by true freshman Danae Rivers. She set the school record in the 600 meters with a time of 1:29.06.

4. Iowa

The Hawkeyes finished fifth last year in the Big Ten indoor meet. Iowa competed in the Border Battle on Jan. 7, defeating Illinois, 96-51.

5. Indiana

The Hoosiers had a surprising upset over Purdue in their dual meet Jan. 14. Junior Kathrine Receveur dominated the distance events, winning the mile with a time of 4:41.63 and the 3,000 meters at 9:26.69. Receveur’s mile time is the fourth-best in the nation.

6. Minnesota

Last indoor season, Minnesota placed fourth in the Big Ten meet. Throwers Kiley Sabin and junior Agnes Esser have crushed the competition so far this season, with Sabin putting the shot 15.75 meters (51-08.25) and Esser 18.60 meters (61-00.25).

7. Illinois

The Illini’s only Big Ten competition has been against Iowa, and they were defeated soundly. The women did bounce back in their next meet, the Illini Classic. They won four event titles: high jump, 60-meter hurdles, 200 meters, and 4×400-meter relay.

8. Nebraska

The Huskers only had one first-team All-Big Ten indoor athlete last season. Now-senior Tierra Williams earned All-Big Ten honors in the long jump and triple jump, winning both in the Big Ten meet. She will try to build on that success this season.

9. Wisconsin

The Badgers have not seen a lot of action yet this season; it will depend on senior Georgia Ellenwood, a 2016 All-American in the heptathlon, to lead the squad. She holds the school record in the event with 5,935 points.

10. Ohio State

The Buckeyes competed in the Kentucky Invitational and put up some big numbers. The women’s 4×400-meter relay squad had the second-fastest time in the NCAA this season with a time of 3:37.97.

11. Rutgers

The Scarlet Knights competed at the Beantown Challenge on Jan. 14, and junior Bria Saunders broke the school record in the 300 meters with a time of 39.25. Rutgers placed fifth in the team standings.

12. Maryland

Maryland competed in the Nittany Lion Challenge on Jan. 14 and won four events. Senior Micha Powell set a personal record in the 200 meters with a time of 24.40.

13. Michigan State

The Spartans competed in the Simmons-Harvey Invitational on Jan. 14 and placed first in five events.