Women’s swimming

+Izzie+Bindseil+competes+in+the++Womens+100+yard+Butterfly+in+the+2014+Black+and+Gold+Intrasquad+meet+on+Saturday%2C+Oct.+2014+at+the+CRWC.+The+Black+squad+defeated+the+Gold+squad%2C+86.5+-+85.5.+%28The+Daily+Iowan%2FJoshua+Housing%29
Izzie Bindseil competes in the Womens 100 yard Butterfly in the 2014 Black and Gold Intrasquad meet on Saturday, Oct. 2014 at the CRWC. The Black squad defeated the Gold squad, 86.5 – 85.5. (The Daily Iowan/Joshua Housing)

On both the men’s and women’s side of Big Ten, Michigan is always the team to beat. It’s no different this year, as the Wolverines have a stranglehold on the conference.

1. Michigan

The Wolverines are ranked No. 9 in the country, according to collegeswimming.com. At this point last season, they were No. 21. Michigan has made a living at the top of this list.

2. Wisconsin

The Badgers come in four sports lower than the Wolverines at No. 13 in the nation, an improvement over their No. 17 ranking a year ago. Wisconsin is as well-balanced as any team in the conference.

3. Minnesota

The Gophers are one spot below the Badgers in the power rankings, sitting at No. 14 in the nation. Minnesota is one of the three or four programs that can seriously contend for a Big Ten title this season.

4. Ohio State

The Buckeyes come in at No. 18 in the nation. Again, another Big Ten team that made positive strides from last season, jumping up five spots. Ohio State is seemingly a power in every sport, and swimming is no different.

5. Indiana

The Hoosiers are ranked No. 21 in the nation. They are the first team in the conference that went down in the power rankings from last season to this.

6. Purdue

Next are the Boilermakers, No. 36 in the nation. Purdue is down from a year ago, but it has the talent to score a lot of points at the Big Ten meet.

7. Iowa

The Hawkeyes come in just one spot below the Boilermakers at No. 37 in the nation. But unlike the Boilermakers, the Hawkeyes went up from last season by one spot. Emma Sougstad will be a big reason for any of the success Iowa enjoys this year.

8. Penn State

The Nittany Lions are right in the middle of the Purdue-Iowa-Penn State-Northwestern jumble in the middle of the Big Ten. Any of those four teams could outperform the other on any given night.

9. Northwestern

Directly below the Nittany Lions are the Wildcats at No. 40 in the nation. Here is another team in the conference that took a few steps back from a season ago (No. 28 last year).

10. Nebraska

The Cornhuskers, as of now, are 6-0 on the season, but they have not faced any Big Ten opponents yet.

11. Illinois

The Illini have a record of 7-4 this season (2-2 conference), with wins over Michigan State and Rutgers.

12. Rutgers

The Scarlet Knights are 2-6, and of the six losses, three are from Big Ten opponents — Purdue, Illinois, and Northwestern.

13. Michigan State

The Spartans settle for last in the Big Ten. Up to this point, the Spartans are winless in the conference with losses to, Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, and Iowa.