Editorial: A good choice for ambassador

AP
FILE – In this Feb. 15, 2012 file-pool photo, Chinese Vice President Xi Jinping and Iowa Gov. Terry Branstad raise their glasses at the beginning of a formal dinner in the rotunda at the Iowa Statehouse in Des Moines, Iowa. Branstad, President-elect Donald Trump’s choice for U.S. ambassador to China, can boast a 30-year relationship with Chinese President Xi Jinping, the most powerful Chinese leader in decades, especially amid escalating talk of a trade war with the U.S.’s largest trading partner? (AP Photo/The Des Moines Register, Andrea Melendez, Pool, File)

D

onald Trump’s efforts to fill out important positions in his administration has finally hit home. Jason Miller, a spokesman for the Trump transition team has confirmed that Iowa Gov. Terry Branstad has been offered the position of ambassador to China. Three anonymous sources, according to Bloomberg, have indicated that Branstad has accepted the offer.

Branstad is a longtime friend of Xi Jinping, the president of China. In addition to being the United States’ most important trade partner and largest economic rival, China and its influential figures have long been a component (in one way or another) of Trump’s platform.

Despite virtually innumerable differences in opinion and political perspectives, The Daily Iowan Editorial Board believes that Branstad is actually an excellent choice for Trump’s ambassador to China. Branstad has long been a supporter of Trump, even before his victory seemed certain. And while the Editorial Board will never agree with Branstad’s stance on this election, we believe that Branstad is one the best — if not the best  — appointment Trump has made thus far.

But the reality behind this surprisingly adept appointment is not so good. Though Branstad is legitimately qualified for this position, many of his fellow appointees are not. Whether it be Ben Carson (a neurosurgeon) being selected for Housing and Urban Development secretary or Myron Ebell (a well-known climate change-denier) being selected for head of EPA transition, Trump has hardly gravitated toward the most experienced candidates.

Branstad, on the other hand, has interacted with Xi throughout much of his tenure as the longest-serving governor in U.S. history. His meetings with Xi began decades ago, in 1985, according to Bloomberg, and haVE only blossomed since then. The two have continued to stay close, with Branstad actually going on a previously planned weeklong trip to China and Japan days after the Trump election — his fourth trip to China in the last seven years.

The second reason that Branstad stands out among Trump’s choices is that he is not only qualified but does not seem to be a blatant racist like Jeff Sessions or Steve Bannon.

For these minimal reasons (qualification and not being an outright bigot), The Daily Iowan Editorial Board approves of his appointment despite the vast difference in opinions between him and us.

But given that Branstad is the governor of Iowa, the implications of his impending appointment are much larger for our state. Lt. Gov. Kim Reynolds will be the person most likely to fill the role of Iowa governor when Branstad takes on the ambassadorship. Reynolds would become the first female governor OF the state of Iowa.

While Reynolds will likely represent a continuation of the positions put forth by the Branstad administration, the emphasis of her goals and tasks as lieutenant governor exemplify an individual committed to STEM and advanced energy. But perhaps even more important for the state is the reality that with Branstad gone, the 2018 gubernatorial election carries great weight.

Iowa voted Republican during this presidential election. The irony of this is that, in many ways, Trump’s victory and subsequent Branstad appointment could lead to a close race for Iowa’s governorship. If Trump is as ineffective — or worse, as detrimental — as the Daily Iowan Editorial Board fears he may be, Iowa could see at its first Democratic governor in eight years.