Letter to editor: FOOD FOR THE HOLIDAYS

Fresh produce sits out at the Farmer’s Market on Wednesday, Sept. 9, 2015. A new study from the UI shows that the number of farmer’s markets has gone up and more people are buying their food locally.

The University of Iowa Community Credit Union and the Crisis Center of Johnson County are teaming up to raise funds for the Crisis Center’s Food Bank.

As the holidays, cold weather, and end of the year approach, families’ budgets are stretched thinner and the need for Food Bank services grows. In order to help meet the need of Johnson County families, the Cedit Union will match every donation to the Food Bank up to $10,000 from Dec. 5 to Dec. 16.

“This time of year can be hard on any family, let alone those already living paycheck to paycheck,” said Sara Sedlacek, Crisis Center the communications and development director at the. “Having this gift from the Credit Union helps us meet our clients’ increased need this winter. We are so grateful for its generosity, and we know we can count on the community to ensure we receive the full match.”

The Credit Union and Crisis Center staff will talk about the importance of giving during this time of year at a campaign kick-off event today at the Crisis Center Food Bank. The media and public are encouraged to attend.

—by Sara Sedlacek,

Crisis Center communication & development director