Women’s golf finishes 10th in North Carolina

Morgan+Kukla
Morgan Kukla

By Jess Westendorf

The Iowa women’s golf team concluded tournament play and tied for 10th place at the Greenville Regional Preview on Tuesday.

The Hawkeyes recorded their lowest round of the tournament Tuesday at the Ironwood Golf Course in Greenville, North Carolina, with a third-round score of 310 (22-over) and a final overall score of 937 (73-over).

TCU came in first with a final score of 895, followed by Augusta (913), and Kansas State (914).

Freshman Sophie Liu took control for the Hawkeyes, with a tournament score of 228 (12-over) to tie for 12th. Liu shot par on 14 holes and had two birdies on holes 3 and 15, which moved her up 13 spots on the leaderboard.

“I thought the golf course was pretty hard to play, and the field was competitive,” said Liu in a release. “The greens were tough, and some of the tee shots were difficult. I’m happy with how I finished due to the conditions. There are a lot of positives to take away from this tournament. I really enjoyed playing competitively.”

Following Liu, senior Jessie Sindlinger finished the third round with a 76 (4-over). Sindlinger recorded 35 holes at or below par throughout the tournament, including six birdies. In the end she recorded a final score of 233, putting her in a tie for 26th place with Katherine Gravel-Coursol  of Kansas State.

Junior Jessica Ip posted a third round score of 81 to put her in a tie for 39th place with Ellen Secor of Colorado State and Desiree Andersson (Campbell). Ip recorded round scores of 80, 75, and 81 to give her a final score of 236. The junior tallied 32 holes at or below par during tournament play, including five birdies.

Next on the list for the Hawkeyes was sophomore Shawn Rennegarbe who posted her best score in the second round, shooting a 79. The sophomore ended with a final score of 244 to tie for 72nd. Rennegarbe shot par on 25 holes with two birdies during three rounds of tournament play.

Rounding out the Hawkeye lineup was junior Morgan Kukla. She posted a third – round score of 81, adding to her previous round scores of 85 and 80. She concluded tournament play with a final score of 246 and tied for 76th place with Anna Svanka.

The last stop for the Hawkeyes this fall will be the Landfall Tradition Oct. 28-30 in Wilmington, North Carolina.