Letter to editor

Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton gives a speech during the Jefferson-Jackson Dinner on Saturday, Oct. 24, 2015. Each of the three Democratic presidential nominees held rallys before attending the Jefferson-Jackson Dinner. (The Daily Iowan/Sergio Flores)

Sanders supporter says, What’s the choice?

As a Bernie Sanders supporter, contributor, and voter, I realize that it is important to face some fundamental facts: Either Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump will be the next president, and, for Sanders supporters, the most productive way to achieve our goals is to vote and to vote for Clinton. It might be tempting to vote for someone other than these two candidates or to sit out the election. The trouble is that not voting for Clinton will make it virtually impossible to achieve the progressive goals we share, especially if the Republicans retain control of both houses of Congress.

Try to imagine the degree to which a Trump presidency would negate progress in the following areas: immigration reform and the humane treatment of immigrants; reduced economic inequality; respect for human and civil rights; better race relations; constitutional guarantees; religious tolerance and freedom; sentencing reforms; protecting the environment and addressing climate change; work-place safety and consumer protection; college tuition subsidies and student loan reforms; reproductive freedom for women; expanded access to health care; and campaign-finance reform. These are all positions that progressives support and anything other than a Clinton win will doom the chances for moving forward in these vital areas and not just for four years but, conceivably, for eight. And this is before we even consider the question of Supreme Court appointments.

The path forward should be clear. Who the better candidate is in this election is also clear.

— Alan Posner