Hawkeye soccer set to kick some more winners

Iowa midfielder Kyrie Seying kicks the ball during the game on Friday, September 11, 2015. The Hawkeyes defeated the Cyclones, 1-0. (The Daily Iowan/Peter Kim)

By Ricardo Ascencio

The Hawkeye soccer team will get back to action this weekend, seeking to use their home-field advantage when they square up against Colorado State at 7 p.m. today and Southern Illinois-Edwardsville at 1 p.m. Sept. 4.

The Hawkeyes are coming off an impressive win on Sunday, taking down Wyoming, 3-2, thanks in part to the play of senior Bri Toelle. She scored 2 goals in the contest, including the game-winner in the 81st minute.

“I liked the way we played, especially against a good team like Wyoming,” said head coach Dave DiIanni after the contest. “We knew they would be a very difficult team; they are a quick-counter team, and if you don’t handle it well, you won’t like the results. However, we played well, and I like how we are developing.”

While Wyoming was a tough contest, the Hawkeyes will face a stiffer test once Colorado State and Edwardsville come into town.

Colorado State enters the weekend at 2-2-0, with the Rams are coming off a 2-1 victory over the Hawkeye’s Sept. 4 matchup, Edwardsville. The Rams were led by freshman Alex Lanning, who scored her first college goal in the 86th minute of the game to give the Rams the victory.

Edwardsville enters the weekend 1-2-1, and while its record may not be that eye opening, the Cougars opened the season against Central Arkansas with a dominating victory, defeating the Bears, 6-1.

The Hawkeyes will play host to two competitive teams trying to build on their early season marks, but Iowa has its eye on making sure the Rams and Cougars leave Iowa City with losses.

The Hawkeyes enter today’s match with an impressing 3-1-0 record. While it’s very early in the season, Iowa will try to gain recognition as one of the best teams in the Big Ten.

Along with the emergence of Toelle, junior Karly Stuenkel will try to further build her strong college career; she is the reining offensive MVP, scoring 5 goals in her freshman campaign and putting up the game-winning assist to help Iowa defeat Wyoming.

“My first goal was a breakaway, but I wouldn’t have been able to do it without Devin [Burns], she picked her head up and sent me a nice through ball,” Toelle said. “On my second goal, I found a nice little pass from Karly and finished it with my right foot.”

Fans who attend the match will not only enjoy Hawkeye soccer but also enjoy the many promotions that the Hawkeye Soccer Complex has to offer.

The first 250 fans for today’s match will receive Iowa scarves. The first 100 UI students through the gates will also receive free pizza.

For the Sept. 4 match, the first 150 fans will receive Hawkeye pompoms. Active military, veterans, police, firefighters, and EMS personnel will be recognized during the game.