Ranking MLB, even the rank teams

AP
Tampa Bay Rays pitcher Jake Odorizzi works against the Oakland Athletics during the first inning of a baseball game Friday, July 22, 2016, in Oakland, Calif. (AP Photo/Ben Margot)

By Blake Dowson

With the MLB non-waiver trade deadline past, it’s time to take another crack at the MLB power rankings:

1) Chicago Cubs

The Cubs seem to have regained some of the mojo they lost in July. Adding numerous pieces to the bullpen, especially Aroldis Chapman, takes away any weaknesses the team had. Anthony Rizzo and Kris Bryant are both having MVP-caliber seasons.

2) Cleveland Indians

The best team in the AL got even better at the trade deadline when it traded for Andrew Miller. Yes, it took a king’s ransom to get him, but that ransom didn’t include anyone from the major-league roster, so it won’t hurt the team at all this season.

3) Texas Rangers

Another team that made good moves at the deadline to make their team better. Jonathan Lucroy and Carlos Beltrán are huge upgrades. Get this: Beltrán has 22 home runs this season. Texas designated hitters this season have hit 10.

4) San Francisco Giants

San Francisco made some good moves at the deadline. It seemed as though Tampa Bay wasn’t going to let any of its starting pitchers go, but the Giants persuaded the Rays with a package that included Matt Duffy, getting lefty Matt Moore in return. Good work by the Giants.

5) Washington Nationals

The Nationals would be higher on this list if they had landed Chapman or Miller. They didn’t and settled for Mark Melançon. Settling probably isn’t the right word, because Melançon has the best ERA in baseball the past three years, but he isn’t as good as the two other relievers. Regardless, Bryce Harper and Company are talented.

6-10) Miami Marlins, Boston Red Sox, Baltimore Orioles, Los Angeles Dodgers, Houston Astros

The Marlins continue to hold onto the final wild-card spot, and they just got Dee Gordon back from suspension. He was the best player in their lineup a year ago.

Drew Pomeranz was a big get for the Red Sox, who desperately need pitching. He is a bit unproven but has had a good year. The promotion of top prospect Andrew Benintendi will give Boston a boost in the lineup as well.

Baltimore has hit enough to be in first place, but the pitching staff is not good; adding Wade Miley isn’t enough.

The Dodgers were the team that decided to take the risk in acquiring Rich Hill (and his blisters) at the deadline. But along with Hill, the Dodgers got outfielder Josh Reddick in the deal, and he will start in right field and serve as an upgrade over Yasiel Puig.

The Astros should have done more at the deadline, but they hope the promotion of No. 1 overall prospect Alex Bregman is enough.

11-15) St. Louis Cardinals, Toronto Blue Jays, New York Mets, Detroit Tigers, Pittsburgh Pirates

St. Louis doesn’t do much flashy, but it continues to win enough to be in the thick of the playoff picture.

The Blue Jays will more than likely hit their way into the playoffs but not have enough pitching once they get there.

Adding Jay Bruce isn’t as significant as the Mets think; he has posted a 0.3 WAR this season.

Detroit is quietly keeping pace with Cleveland, but its roster’s age will start to show soon.

Pittsburgh got rid of Melançon but kept the best outfield trio in the game.

16-20) Seattle Mariners, Chicago White Sox, Colorado Rockies, Kansas City Royals, Milwaukee Brewers

21-25) Los Angeles Angels, New York Yankees, Arizona Diamondbacks, Philadelphia Phillies, San Diego Padres

26-30) Oakland Athletics, Cincinnati Reds, Minnesota Twins, Tampa Bay Rays, Atlanta Braves