Big Ten Media Days: Highlights from Wisconsin HC Paul Chryst’s presser

By Blake Dowson

Wisconsin head football coach Paul Chryst spoke to members of the media at Big Ten Media Days about the upcoming 2016-17 season.

• Opened up by saying he was proud and appreciative to represent Wisconsin
  • Chryst went into more depth about the loss of Sam Foltz than other coaches. He said it gets lost how much players impact the coaches.
  • On his team: “They are excited about the opportunity that this year presents.”
  • On the schedule: “We’re excited about the challenge we have because it’s a great opportunity.”
  • On marquee games: “It’s a heck of a way to start a season. For a player, the first game is always exciting…and when you get to do it in a stadium such as Lambeau Field, and to do it against an opponent like LSU, it’s the trifecta.”
  • On the opener vs. LSU: “This game comes about because of the players and teams at Wisconsin that have come before…That’s why kids come to play at Wisconsin.”
  • On QB battle: “A lot of people thought Joel [Stave] was at Wisconsin forever. The common question is who’s going to be the starter? They’ve spent their time controlling what they can control. Our player respect who they are as people and as teammates…Our job as coaches is to make sure both of them are ready to play.”
  • On defense: “Our defense was fun to watch last year. But we have changes this year. New coaches, lost some good players…Yet I’m excited about this group.”
  • On standout linebacker Vince Biegel: “Vince Biegel is going to have a different role than he had last year.”
  • Chryst believes the officials do a good job of communicating for the most part. Said everybody just wants to get calls right, so everyone works together.
  • Chryst said he is excited about the running back position; there is a lot of depth and a lot of talent there.