Donations key to UI’s progress

Tom Jorgensen/University of iowa
FILE – The University of Iowa campus looking west from Old Capitol and the Pentacrest.

By Zach Weigel

The University of Iowa has reached the largest fundraising campaign in the university’s history.

Dana Larson, the UI Foundation director of communications and marketing, said the For Iowa. Forever More campaign has raised $1.74 billion so far, slightly surpassing its initial goal of $1.7 billion. It will end in December.

Fueled by private giving, donations help supplement funding that comes in from state appropriations and tuition. Most notably, the money raised by the campaign helps fund scholarships, research, facilities, and academic programming, among a host of other things.

“Private giving to the University of Iowa is increasingly important to maintain and grow the UI’s status as a world-class institution for today’s students and future generations,” Larson said. “Nearly 200,000 donors from across Iowa and the world have come together to support the University of Iowa.”

Together, all of the funding goes to fulfill the campaign’s threefold priorities of educating students, ensuring a healthier and more sustainable world, and enriching commerce, culture, and communities.

With upgrades to facilities and campus development made possible because of the campaign, accomplishments to date include endowing faculty-development opportunities, funding such outreach programs as diversity training, and enhancing facilities.

The brand-new Hancher Auditorum, construction of the new Hansen Football Performance Center, the new Children’s Hospital, and Public Health Building are just a few projects that the campaign has aided.

“Bottom line, private donations affect everything at the [College of Liberal Arts & Sciences],” said Jane Van Voorhis, the director of liberal-arts development for the UI Foundation.

The funding goes toward creating new things while also signifying that donors have faith in the UI, Van Voorhis said.

“Every gift to the UI is an act of optimism and contributes to a valued-added student experience,” she said. “Donors and alumni are investing in the mission of Iowa.”

College of Education interim Director of Strategic Communication Lois Gray also praises the fundraising campaign.

The education school has far surpassed its goal of raising $30 million, she said.

“As of today, the college has raised $49,825,813,” Gray said. “However, we anticipate that the college will raise well over $50 million before the campaign ends.”

At the education school, she said, funding has gone toward “cutting-edge technology” such as the Belin-Blank Center for Gifted Education and Talent Development and the UI REACH Program for young adults with cognitive and learning disabilities, in addition to many other areas.

Education-school Dean Nicholas Colangelo said he believes the fundraising campaign validates the UI as a top university.

“Our alumni and friends have confidence in our college and the impact of our programs to produce outstanding leaders, scholars, and innovators,” he said. “Our donors see how strong the college is, and they want to be part of supporting the success of our students, who make substantial contributions to many different educational fields.”

UI student and Old Gold and Iowa Scholar scholarship recipient Lexi Finer said she realizes the effect that private donations make as well.

“The scholarships that Iowa offered made it stand out when compared with other colleges,” she said. “Scholarships give you opportunities to get involved in more enriching experiences, such as student organizations, because you don’t have to get a job.”