Two Hawkeye softball players win conference awards

Iowa catcher Holly Hoffman throws down to second base at Pearl Field on Wednesday, April 30, 2014. The Hawkeyes lost to UNI in a close game 9-8. (The Daily Iowan/Valerie Burke)

Two Iowa softball players were given Big Ten accolades for the 2016 season: Holly Hoffman and Sammi Gyerman. Hoffman was named second team All-Big Ten, and Gyerman joined the All-Defensive Team. Both awards were a first-time honor for the Hawkeyes.

Hoffman, a redshirt senior, was recognized for her offensive year, the best of her career. The catcher batted a team-best .304 and registered 41 hits, including 11 doubles, 2 triples, and 4 home runs. In conference play, she batted .379.

Hoffman started 192 games as a Hawkeye, 181 of which she called from behind the plate.

“Holly improved steadily throughout her career, and she ended up going out strong in her senior season,” Iowa head coach Marla Looper said in a release. “I think the biggest thing was her consistant approach at the plate. She helped us stay in games, and she helped us win ball games.”

As a senior, Hoffman had to step up in order to replace former Hawkeye Megan Blank, who hit .410 throughout her career and .442 her senior season, breaking the school’s single-season record.

Gyerman, a redshirt junior, earned her honors by remaining errorless throughout the Big Ten season. She had 27 put outs and five outfield assists. A staple in the outfield, she led the team from center the entire season.

“It’s not often that outfielders get more than a handful of assists, and she had 5 in conference play alone,” Looper said in a release. “She had a lot of chances to be a part of the game. There are a select few that make the All-Defensive Team. It’s nine players, period. To be one of those nine means a lot.

I think it bodes well in the effort she put in to fixing the little things in her game defensively. That’s what allowed her to be errorless. It’s not easy to do that.”

Sophomore Sarah Kurtz was also honored by the conference, being named the Big Ten Sportsmanship Award recipient for the Hawkeyes.

— by Courtney Baumann