Trump: presumptive nominee with First Amendment problem

Donald Trump warns a reporter of his cameras proximity to the ceiling of the inside of his plane at DSM international airport on Wednesday, April 8, 2015. Trump arguably regretted his decision to invite members of the media on his plane after a tripod fell onto a table, causing the real estate mogul a bit of distress. (The Daily Iowan/Sergio Flores)

The Constitution of the United States of America is arguably the most important document in modern history. In fact, it may be the most important piece of writing of any kind. Moreover, the First Amendment to that Constitution is arguably the most important piece. Beyond the phrasing “We the people …” the First Amendment may be the single paragraph most paramount to the formation of the United States.

So why, then, is the presumptive nominee of the Republican Party doing so much that opposes the First Amendment?

Ignore, for a moment, Donald Trump’s lack of political experience; this is something the American public can move past. Ignore, for a moment, Trump’s false political statements; this is something with which the American public is familiar. Ignore, for a moment, Trump’s hateful rhetoric and brazen ignorance; for this, even for this, the American public can forgive him. But on top of all that, there is something that the American public cannot and should not turn a blind eye to Trump’s blatant disregard for the Constitution and its most important amendment.

The Constitution is what set the United States apart from the other colonized countries of the 18th century. The First Amendment established, among other things, the separation of church and state, something largely unseen in the world until that point.

The First Amendment reads: “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.”

How has Trump shown his opposition to the First Amendment?

First, although he has not claimed that he will make a law respecting an establishment of religion, he has made threats to prohibit “the free exercise thereof.” With Trump’s promise to bar Muslim individuals from entering the United States, he is, in effect, prohibiting the free exercise of Islam. In fact, according to the Washington Post, Trump once said that while he would hate to shut down some mosques, he would do it if necessary.

Second, Trump has attempted to limit the freedom of the press countless times. According to several sources, he has suggested revisiting libel laws in an attempt to limit the press’s ability to, well, press him. Essentially, Trump would like to open the floodgates to make it easier to sue the press for trying to hold him accountable — the very thing for which the press was created.

Third, Trump simply does not care about the right to peaceably assemble. While many of his actions against protesters are legal, he eggs on his supporters to antagonize those who interrupt his speeches or protest his events in a public space.

So that leaves the establishment of a religion, freedom of speech, and the right to petition the government. And while it seems unlikely that Trump would be able to effectively create policy in opposition of these aspects of the First Amendment, he just may be the person to find a way.

His seemingly innocuous statement that “We’re going to be saying ‘Merry Christmas’ again” certainly also seems like a step in the wrong direction.

Absurd though it may seem to have a nominee that acts against the spirit of the First Amendment frequently, it is perfectly in line with the absurdity of Trump’s campaign thus far.