‘Bike boulevard’ coming to IC

A bike sits outside of the main library on Thursday, May 5, 2016. The month of May is National Bike Month. (The Daily Iowan/Brooklynn Kascel)

A temporary bike lane could make Iowa City even more bike-friendly.

A class in the University of Iowa College of Public Health collaborated with Iowa City and community organizations to put together a bike boulevard.

The temporary bike boulevard will be set up on College Street on May 21 from 8 a.m. to noon. The route will begin at City High and end at the Iowa City Farmers’ Market at Chauncey Swan Park. Along the route will be a few different types of bike lanes, some more protected than others.

The project was put in place by four graduate students in the College of Public Health as part of a communications campaign class. The bike boulevard is a part of a larger campaign the group has put together called Join the Movement.

Emily Hejna, a student in the class, said the goal of the larger campaign is to get people to push for a more bike-friendly Iowa City, and to educate the community on bike safety.

“It’s just joining the movement of travel in the road, whether it’s biking, walking, or driving,” Hejna said. “Iowa City is pushing for higher standards in bike friendly initiative, so we’re just encouraging the community to join that discussion.”

The city currently holds a silver rating as a bicycle friendly community, but Iowa City sustainability coordinator Brenda Nations said the new city council is interested in moving up a rating, and this initiative may help.

“Education and outreach are part of that rating,” Nations said. “This group is mainly focused on bike safety and awareness.”

At either end of the bike lane, the group will have educational materials to inform people about bike safety and how to use the bike lanes.

Erin Arneson, a student in the class, said local bike shop World of Bikes will be there to offer bike safety checks, and the Bike Library will help people find the safest commute to work.

“We’ve had several great partners letting us utilize their services,” Arneson said. “We want people to be encouraged by this experience and maybe host a boulevard in their neighborhood, this is the epitome of our entire class.”

Although the bike lane is only temporary, Arneson said she hopes the project will have a lasting effect on the community and bike safety.