Stealing geography away: Investigative journalist an author Michael Blanding to present ‘The Map Thief’

The idea of stealing maps seems odd in an era in which endless maps are stowed on phones in pockets. On closer examination, though, one can see the value that historical maps have. They can be a window to past and show how those who came before us thought of the world.

Investigative journalist and author Michael Blanding will present his book The Map Thief at 6:30 p.m. today in the Main Library Shambaugh Auditorium.

Map Thief 1The Map Thief details the world of antique dealings through the life of E. Forbes Smiley III. Smiley was a rare-map dealer who stole $3 million worth of antique maps before being caught in 2005. But it also tells the stories of the maps he stole, what they meant to their makers, and those who explored with them.

“The book sheds light on the little-known world of collectors of antiquities, but even more important, it tells the tales of those who made the maps centuries ago,” Jennifer Masada, the University of Iowa Libraries strategic communications manager, wrote in an email. “*The Map Thief* reveals much about history and humanity.”

Back when the world was thought to be smaller, countries thought they were the center of the world and positioned themselves according. And up until 600 years ago, North America was a blank space.

“There’s a story behind the creation of every older map,” wrote Margaret Gamm of UI Special Collections in an email. “We can also use them to show what was known, or suspected, of the world at any given point in time, providing landmarks in the history of exploration. You can learn how areas have changed if you compare old topographic or plat maps to current maps. Students, scholars, and genealogists who come in to use the collection are researching how medieval maps depicted the world, what railroad routes existed in Iowa and when, who used to own land where, and more.”

Gamm manages maps, both ancient and modern, in the Special Collections. She loved *The Map Thief*, she said, even if it was depressing from a librarian’s perspective. The historical maps she works with are valuable for scholarly knowledge and are also detailed and sometimes beautifully illustrated.

Blanding originally looked into Smiley’s story while researching for an article.

“I have always been a big fan of maps ever since I was a kid,” he wrote in an email. “I remember reading about Smiley’s case when it happened and being really intrigued by this secretive world of map dealers and collectors and wondering what would cause someone who loved maps and dealt in them to betray the institutions he relied upon.”

Upon meeting Smiley, Blanding realized the story was too fascinating for one article; it needed a book.

“Smiley was very remorseful and subdued when I talked with him — spending time in prison and reflecting on his crimes clearly changed him,” Blanding said. “On the other hand, however, every so often during our conversation he would lose himself and get carried away — talking excitedly about maps … and I got a glimpse of the charm that must have disarmed the libraries and allowed him to get away with stealing for as long as he did.”

WORDS

The Map Thief, an evening with author Michael Blanding

When: 6:30 p.m. today

Where: Main Library Shambaugh Auditorium