Women’s golf squares up for Big Tens

Iowa golfer Amy Ihm prepares to drive during media day at Finkbine on Tuesday, Aug. 25, 2015. Ihm is one of two seniors on the team. (The Daily Iowan/Margaret Kispert)

By Ricardo Ascencio

A lot is on the line this weekend for the Iowa women’s golf team as it prepares to face the best of the conference in this year’s 2016 Big Ten Championship.

While the Big Ten may not come off as a golf-power conference — Northwestern is the only team ranked in the top-25 — programs such as Ohio State and Penn State have proven to be teams to be reckoned with.

“[Last week], we saw a lot of Big Ten competition,” junior Jessie Sindlinger said. “We have played Ohio State, Michigan State, and Illinois, too, but I think the major one is Northwestern, and I think we need to go in with a positive attitude.”

Out-performing Northwestern will be a difficult task; the No. 15 Wildcats have plenty of momentum heading into this weekend’s championship series.

Northwestern is coming off the recent PING/ASU Invitational in which three of its golfers earned top-25 finishes.

Wildcat sophomore Hannah Kim and freshmen Stephanie Lau and Janet Mau will try to bring their momentum into Big Ten play. With the help of head coach Emily Fletcher, there is no doubt whether Northwestern will be the heavy favorites to win the Big Ten title.

That said, the Hawks know what they need to do to have success.

“Our success really comes down to doing the little things right. Some of it has been putting fundamentals, some of it’s been getting a little more speed back, trying to stay aggressive and create more club-head speed,” Fletcher said in a release. “Overall, it’s just been more of the same, good short game work, wedge work, that sort of thing.”

Despite the tough task, Iowa has a pair of golfers who have the determination and skill to give Northwestern and the rest of the Big Ten a run for their money.

Sindlinger and senior Amy Ihm have proven to be an elite one-two punch for the Hawkeyes all season.

Both are coming off an impressive outing at the Lady Buckeye Invitational in Columbus, Ohio.

Ihm finished in the top five, thanks in part to making par on 12 holes and adding birdies on holes 1, 8, and 18 in the final round. Sindlinger was just behind Ihm, carding a 1-under-par 71 in the final round to tie for 11th.

“We beat some really good teams, so we just have to go out that first day [in the Big Ten Championships] and really believe that we can get the job done,” Ihm said. 

A lot will be riding on the shoulders of Ihm and Sindlinger; their performances will be a key factor for the Hawkeyes.

If Ihm and Sindlinger can repeat their performances in Columbus, the Hawkeyes have a great chance to not only outplay Northwestern, but also potentially climb up into the top-25 rankings.

Follow @TheHolyRicardo for Iowa women’s golf news, updates, and analysis.