Baseball avoids sweep

Iowa pitcher Tyler Peyton pitches the ball during the first round of the Big Ten baseball tournament at Target Field in Minneapolis on Wednesday, May 20, 2015. (The Daily Iowan/Margaret Kispert)

By Jake Mosbach | [email protected]

Despite dropping two games to Indiana (20-14, 6-3 Big Ten) over the past weekend, Iowa (17-17, 6-6 Big Ten) managed to escape a sweep with a victory in Bloomington on Sunday.

It took 10 innings, but the Hawkeyes were able to squeeze out a 6-5 win.

Senior outfielder Eric Schenck-Joblinske was the hero for the Hawks, collecting an RBI single in the top of the 10th to score Robert Neustrom. It was the game’s winning run.

Ryan Erickson got the win on the mound for the Hawkeyes, coming in to relieve starter Nick Gallagher in the fifth inning. Erickson (2-0) went 5.2 innings, allowing just 2 hits and striking out one.

While Schenck-Joblinske provided the final boost, Nick Roscetti was the workman offensively for Iowa in the third game. The Sherman, Illinois, native went 4-for-5, appearing to snap a lengthy cold streak at the plate.

Freshman outfielder Neustrom also plated 2 RBIs in the win.

The Hoosiers took the first game of the series, 7-1, behind the stellar pitching of senior lefty Kyle Hart. Iowa head coach Rick Heller said after the game Hart’s command was too much for his team to overcome on April 15.

“That was as well-pitched of a game as I have seen in a long time,” Heller said. “He had complete command of four pitches and threw his changeup any time he wanted. He induced a lot of weak contact. We didn’t punch out, but we didn’t barrel balls up.”

The offensive struggles in the first game affected almost every Hawkeye. Junior third baseman Mason McCoy had the team’s only RBI of the game. On the mound, C.J. Eldred took the loss (2-4), allowing 3 runs on 10 hits.

The second game featured much of the same, with Indiana grabbing an 8-2 win. Tyler Peyton started on the hill for the Hawks, getting beaten up by the Hoosiers early. Peyton allowed 7 runs on 7 hits in just two innings of work; he is now 1-5.

“Tyler didn’t have command of any of his pitches,” Heller said after the game. “He was up in the zone, and Indiana made us pay in the first two innings.”

Peyton did provide the only 2 RBIs of the game for the Hawkeyes, however, going 2-for-4 at the plate. Senior shortstop Roscetti also went 2-for-4, with freshman outfielder Luke Farley providing a bit of power for the team, smacking a double to lead off the third inning.

Heller and his Hawkeyes will travel to Peoria, Illinois, to face Bradley in a midweek nonconference affair on Wednesday.

The two teams have squared off once this season, when Iowa grabbing a walk-off 7-6 win at Banks Field on March 22.