Hawks construct hit machine

Peter Kim
Iowa catcher Jimmy Frankos hist the ball at Duane Banks Baseball Stadium on Friday, Mar 25, 2016. Iowa defeated Maryland, 8-1. (The Daily Iowan/Peter Kim)

When a team scores 22 runs in one game, there is going to be production from players up and down the lineup.

But for the Iowa baseball team, the steady production from hitters one through nine is beginning to become a major story line.

Senior Nick Roscetti, one of the Hawks’ leading hitters, was 1-for-7 Wednesday. Senior slugger Tyler Peyton was 0-for-2.

However, without the production of the two best-known hitters in the lineup, eight different Hawkeyes recorded a hit against the Air Force Academy Wednesday night, and eight different Hawkeyes recorded an RBI.

“Whenever you can get production up and down the lineup, it really helps out a bunch. That’s what’s been happening these last five or six games,” head coach Rick Heller said. “When we were losing games close the first three or four weeks, it was just two or three guys producing, and you’d have four guys in the lineup who went [hitless]. It’s been really good to see some guys gain some confidence and start to put better swings on the ball.”

Senior John Barrett, who has only started six games for Iowa this season, has made the most of his opportunities when he gets the chance to step between the lines.

Barrett was 2-for-2 Wednesday night with 2 RBIs and a walk before being lifted for a pinch hitter when the game was in hand.

His previous start against Illinois was another multi-hit appearance, 2-for-4.

Being in a limited role is a tough thing to do. Not knowing whether or not to be ready to start a game can be tricky business.

“You just have to come to the field each day with the same mindset,” Barrett said. “I just come with the mindset that I could be out there, and I just have to perform when it happens.”

Junior Mason McCoy has been in the starting lineup for every one of Iowa’s 31 games this season, but the production was not there at the beginning of the season.

McCoy broke out in a big way Wednesday night, notching 5 hits in 7 at-bats. It took him five at-bats to hit for the cycle, and McCoy added another RBI double on top of that.