Iowa baseball drops Game 1 to Minnesota

Iowa outfielder Robert Neustrom slides into second base at Duane Banks Field on Saturday, March 26. The Hawkeyes beat the Terrapins 4-1. (The Daily Iowan/ Alex Kroeze)

The Hawkeye baseball team fell to Minnesota in the first game of a three-game weekend series in Minneapolis Friday, 4-1.

The loss drops Iowa to 10-13 on the season, and 2-2 in Big Ten play, with Minnesota now holding a 14-9 (1-0 Big Ten) mark.

Hawkeye redshirt sophomore right-hander C.J. Eldred took the loss on the afternoon, giving up 7 hits in eight innings of work.  The Mount Vernon native now sports a 2-3 record on the year.  Minnesota’s Matt Fiedler picked up the win in Game 1.

Junior right-hander Brian Glowicki earned the save for the Gophers, coming in and doing 0.2 innings of work in the ninth.

Fiedler shut down the Black and Gold offense Friday afternoon, holding the Hawkeyes to just three hits in the game. The low scoring output comes one game after Hawk bats exploded on Tuesday against Northern Illinois, posting 12 runs.

Gopher runs came in pairs throughout the contest, with two coming in the fourth and the final two coming in the sixth.

Freshman infielder Zach Daniels led Iowa at the plate, going 2-for-4 with the team’s sole RBI in the top of the second inning, grabbing a single that scored Austin Guzzo.  Senior catcher Jimmy Frankos produced the only other hit for Iowa.

Unfortunately for Iowa, the usual offensive leaders Nick Roscetti, Joel Booker and reigning Big Ten Freshman of the Week Robert Neustrom going a combined 0-for-9 at the plate.

Iowa will look to even the series on Saturday, with Game 2 set to start at 2 p.m.

– By Jake Mosbach