Walk It Out returns

Group East Asia performs at the Walk It Out fashion show in the IMU on April 11. Walk it Out is a multicultural fashion show showcasing diversity in the university; a portion of the sales goes to UIHC HIV/AID clinics. (The Daily Iowan/Courtney Hawkins)

The Walk It Out fashion show gives a platform to numerous cultures on Saturday in the IMU.
By Devyn Young
South Asian, East Asian, Middle Eastern, African, Latin American, hip-hop, LGBTQA. These are some groups represented at Walk It Out, a multicultural fashion show to be held at 8 p.m. Saturday in the IMU Main Lounge.

In 2009, students from numerous minority organizations came together to start Walk It Out, promoting and embracing diversity at the University of Iowa.

Sabra Cacho, now the vice president of Walk It Out, got involved during her sophomore year by leading a cultural group and handling graphic design for the show.

The show is put together throughout the course of a year. Executive-board positions are elected the prior spring, model auditions are held in the fall, then in the spring Walk It Out is in full swing.
“The executive board meets weekly, then every board member is in charge of a cultural group that also has a weekly practice,” Cacho wrote via email. “In the cultural group, weekly practice groups formulate their show by deciding on the music they walk to, outfit, and their theme. It’s a lot of work — sleepless nights, constantly being on email and Facebook message — but when you finally see your group perform and kill it on stage, all the effort is worth it.”

De’Shea Coney, who modeled as a freshman, is now one of the leaders of the LGBTQA group. Being a group leader, Coney said, is a lot different from being a model in Walk It Out.

“I kind of guide [models] to where they want to be,” Coney said. “I have them come up with their own ideas and see how they think they should be portrayed.”

Senior Marina Beković was asked to do the makeup for the LGBTQA group last year and was then invited to model, skipping over the audition process. Until this year, at least.

“The audition is actually a lot of fun,” Beković said. “You go in, fill out a little paper about yourself, and you get to mark down which groups you would like to join and if there are any that would make you feel uncomfortable … Then they pick a random song for you, you walk, then they take your head shot. It’s really, really fun.”

Beković said Iowa lacks in diversity and Walk It Out is a good way to promote differences.

“It’s cool because everybody’s culture gets to be celebrated,” she said.  “Having cultures be put front and center on stage, in everyone’s faces, is unavoidable, and you get to see it, and enjoy it, and get to immerse yourself in it.”

In addition to helping the community, those involved can get personal pleasure from the show.

“I love the friendships I’ve made through Walk It Out,” Cacho wrote in an email. “I love learning about all the different cultures, I love how everyone supports each other.”

FASHION
Walk It Out
Where: IMU Main Lounge
When: 8 p.m. Saturday [Doors open at 6:30 p.m.]
Admission: $6