Young Hawk shows up huge 

Iowa outfielder Robert Neustrom makes contact at Duane Banks Field in Iowa City on Tuesday, March 29, 2016. The Hawkeyes bats came alive in their 12-3 defeat over the Huskies. (The Daily Iowan/ Alex Kroeze)

By Jake Mosbach | [email protected]

In the bottom of the second inning against Northern Illinois, Robert Neustrom stepped to the plate with his Hawkeyes down 1-0. A day removed from being named the Big Ten Freshman of the Week, the expectations had been raised for the 6-3, 200-pound outfielder.

As the offering from Huskie pitcher Joey Ceja sailed over the right field fence off of Neustrom’s bat — his first college home run — those expectations had been met.

“It felt good to finally get one,” he said. “It’s been a little bit, so it really felt good.”

Neustrom came to the Hawkeyes as the 482nd-best high-school prospect in the nation, according to Perfect Game. He was the Iowa Gatorade Player of the Year in his senior season at Sioux City North.

He came to campus in the fall a little under the radar. Even Neustrom didn’t think he’d have the impact that he’s having on his team right now. He leads the team in batting average at .370 through 22 games.

“I didn’t really know what to expect,” he said. “I just came in with the attitude that I’m going to work my butt off. That’s what I’m going to continue to do and hope for the best in the future.”

Neustrom’s coach, Rick Heller, had faith in Neustrom from the start.

At the team’s media day, the coach listed Neustrom as one of the freshmen who were competing for playing time, singing the praises of the three-time first-team all-conference selection.

Now, seeing what he’s contributed to the team in recent weeks, Heller said Neustrom is only getting started.

“There’s a lot more talent to come,” Heller said. “This is the tip of the iceberg. Whether it happens next week or next year, or whenever, Robert’s got a lot of ability. You’re seeing him finally start to slow the game down a little bit. I’m really pleased with where he’s at.”

033016base2

The senior leaders on the team have also been impressed with the young outfielder. Shortstop and team captain Nick Roscetti, who homered along with Neustrom against Northern Illinois, said Neustrom’s powerful frame is a welcome addition to the Hawkeye lineup.

With his youth, Roscetti said, the freshman could become something great.

“Robert’s really stepped up. His power has been a big deal, it’s something that we’ve been missing,” Roscetti said. “It’s good to see him doing well … he’s just going to keep getting better, too.”

Neustrom will be the first to tell you how much work he has to do despite the Freshman of the Week honor, the long home run, and the 4 RBI-performance against Northern Illinois.

After all, he is just a freshman. Three more years with the Hawkeye team combined with Neustrom’s work ethic and never-good-enough attitude, and Iowa fans could see a truly spectacular result.

“Everything can get better,” Neustrom said. “I just want to learn more as I go. I want to continue to learn and get better at every aspect … I just want to have those attributes that help the team do whatever we need to do to win.”

Follow @RealJakeMosbach on Twitter for Iowa baseball news, updates, and analysis.