Ivy Stone and Milk Duct Tape will perform at Gabe’s on Wednesday

Emulating the work of others is an important step on the creative path, so long as influences don’t overshadow original ideas. The two bands playing at Gabe’s on Wednesday walk that line.

Local group Milk Duct Tape will open for Raleigh, North Carolina, rock-and-roll revivalists Ivy Stone.

Ivy Stone is a four-piece of Victor Arruda (guitar), Max Marotta (drums), Pedro Arruda (bass), and Beau Lastavich (vocals). The band got its start back in 2012 when both Arrudas and Marotta met through the Internet and began playing shows. Lastavich joined after short stint on “American Idol” in 2013. After working together for years, the band opted to answer questions as a collective via email.

“We enjoy all types of music, which we like to put into our own music,” they said. “That’s why we call it exotic rock. It’s based in straight-up rock and roll, but we have little spices of other genres here and there, like reggae, funk, and jazz.”

The group released its début album, *Bad Voodoo*, this past September after a quick and painless recording process. The instrumentals for all 11 tracks were laid down in just one day; Lastavich’s vocals were completed the next day.

Ivy Stone spent a lot of time on the road after recording Bad Voodoo, including a gig at Rock Fest in Wisconsin last summer.

“We all know Wisconsin is known for its cheese, and the three North Carolinians had never had cheese curds before,” Lastavich said. “Long story short, they ended up overdosing on cheese curds and puking.”

After wrapping up the current tour, Ivy Stone will head back to the studio to record a new five-track EP before a summer tour.

In 2013, Dan Bobek formed Iowa City rock/grunge group Milk Duct Tape, with him (guitar/vocals), Matt Moss (bass), and Adam Clayton (drums). Original drummer Troy Tietge left because of an injury.

The group’s name was a spur of the moment decision made by Bobek at the group’s first gig. The venue needed a name for the trio to promote the show, and Bobek gave it “Milk Duct Tape,” a string of gibberish.

The band members describe their sound as a “fuzzed-out gumbo made of grunge, punk, alternative, desert, and hard rock.”

“We’re very collaborative in how we arrange the music, and everyone has a voice in the process,” Moss said. “I don’t know, maybe it’s more like a lasagna with layers of cheese and noodle than gumbo?”

Once its new EP, Phonin’ Home, is done, Milk Duct Tape will focus on booking shows and potentially visiting neighboring states. Recognition is nice, but it isn’t the most important thing for the musicians.

“A tour would be fun, but I’m not looking for rock-star fame,” Bobek said. “All I really want to do is the thing I love: music.”

MUSIC

Ivy Stone, Milk Duct Tape

When: 9 p.m. Wednesday

Where: Gabe’s, 330 E. Washington

Admission: Free