Metro briefs

Ed Bornstein/The Daily Iowan A growing Iowa City skyline stands against a muggy afternoon sky on Monday, July 17, 2006. A story released Monday in Money Magazine ranked the city No. 74 on its “Best Places to Live” list out of an original pool of nearly 750.

Regent panel hears accreditation reports

The state Board of Regents Academic and Student Affairs Committee met Wednesday in the University Capitol Center to hear several colleges and departments give accreditation reports.

Representatives from the University of Iowa College of Dentistry, the Clinical Psychology Doctoral Program, the College of Education Licensure and Professional Endorsement Programs, and the Rehabilitation and Counselor Education Program all gave presentations.

Various fields of study have different accreditation programs needed in order to remain in high academic standing. The colleges and programs that presented have accreditation programs about to expire or were outlining why their accreditations and programs were important in order to advance their standing.

The regents were mainly concerned with how the departments tracked students through graduate school and post-graduation. They also were interested in what the department was doing to encourage its students to pursue professional careers in Iowa.

— by Benjamin Poss

IC mayor joins climate-change coalition

Iowa City may become even more environmentally focused.

Iowa City Mayor Jim Throgmorton recently committed to the Compact of Mayors, an international organization focused on reducing the effects of climate change on a local level.

The coalition includes mayors of cities in countries all around the world. Each city commits to reduce and monitor emissions and to prepare for the consequences of climate change. Dubuque Mayor Roy Buol and Des Moines Mayor Franklin Cownieare also members of the coalition. Both went to the COP 21 climate talks in Paris last year to talk about local level climate action.

Throgmorton said the city staff encouraged him to join the coalition.

“The main thing I would say is the most important is to move forward what our city has already decided to do with regard to reducing carbon emissions,” Throgmorton said. “It’s completely consistent with the great work [Iowa City Sustainability Coordinator] Brenda Nations is already doing.”

Throgmorton said his plans so far are to continue with the strategic plan, which includes deciding on an achievable goal for reducing carbon emissions.

City Councilor Kingsley Botchway said he supports Throgmorton in his commitment.

“I think it’s an awesome opportunity,” Botchway said. “It’s a great effort from the continued leadership of the council.”

— by Katelyn Weisbrod