Calendar

Once pure white with crisp edges, age has creased and browned the paper, deteriorating it slowly. It’s a process known as foxing.

It’s also the inspiration behind the name of the St. Louis based indie/emo five-piece playing at 6:30 p.m. Saturday at Gabe’s, 330 E. Washington St.

The Foxing members have been honest when it comes to their future in music. The quintet of Conor Murphy (vocals), Josh Coll (bass), Ricky Sampson (guitar), Jon Hellwig (drums), and Eric Hudson (guitar) has adopted the simple maxim, “Foxing is a band. One day, Foxing won’t be a band.”

Following the success of its first album, *The Albatross*, in 2013, Foxing wrote 2015’s *Dealer* in a cabin in the Vermont wilderness. It served as both inspiration and as a way to escape the distractions of daily life.

“Being locked away with 6 feet of snow in the woods was an experience I’ll never forget,” Hudson said. “I’ll never forget the sound that coyotes make at night when calling to each other; you can imagine a pitch-black wooded area with the sounds of childlike laughter in the distance.

Foxing is known for its honest lyrics and willingness to be emotionally open, something some bands struggle with.

“I like to think that nothing would be considered untouchable as long as it is important to us as individuals to express it,” Hudson said. “Some things may be a little shrouded or ambiguous but not out of fear of revealing something personal.”

Though the members are at times uncomfortable putting themselves out there, they don’t let it stand in the way of their art.

“Nothing good comes from being safe and conservative in terms of making music,” Hudson said.

Lymbyc Systym, an instrumental/electronic duo of brothers Jared and Mike Bell, will be one of the bands opening for Foxing on Saturday. The Bell brothers have been making music together for most of their lives but only under the moniker Lymbyc Systym since 2001.

“We have a really deep history and strong connection musically,” Jared Bell said. “We developed our playing styles and ideas about rhythm, composition, and aesthetics alongside each other.”

The brothers released their latest album, *Split Stones*, last year, despite Jared Bell living in Brooklyn and Mike Bell living in Phoenix.

“We made a point of really embracing the physical distance and our personal differences,” Jared Bell said. “We have different daily lives, thoughts, and friends. We used this divergence as a starting point for fresh ideas and alternative ways of writing.”

At the same time, he said, Split Stones also refers to the mind and body dichotomy and the way in which the two halves work against each other.

“Musical relationships can be challenging,” he said. “Lineups change, and bands come and go, but family is forever. I think that’s a big part of why we’re still together.”

MUSIC

Foxing, Lymbyc Systym, Tancred, Adjy

When: 6:30 p.m. Saturday

Where: Gabe’s, 330 E. Washington