Council nixes art-project funding

lens
lens

By Katelyn Weisbrod  |  [email protected]

The Iowa City City Council voted 5-2 Tuesday not  to provide funding for a downtown Iowa City art project after Iowa City Major Jim Throgmorton changed his position from a previous council meeting.

Backers of the project had asked the council for $50,000 to aid in raising more than $500,000 to fund the public art sculpture The Lens on the north side of the Pedestrian Mall.

Throgmorton, who voted in favor of the funding on Feb. 2, voted against it on Tuesday. He said he went into the Feb. 2 meeting intending to vote against it, but when the other five councilors present voted, he said, he realized his vote would make no difference, and he chose to vote in favor.

“To impose this project on a divided public would be a serious mistake, it’s not one I’m personally prepared to make, and it would also be a mistake to disregard the work that has been done,” Throgmorton said. “With these facts in mind, I would be willing to support the project if proponents can show widespread support in the community.”

Throgmorton’s decision to change his vote drew criticism from some members of the community.

City Councilor Susan Mims, who favored the funding, said the work already put forth by the community should not be disregarded.

“People wanted a major art piece; I think it’s important as a council we respect the process and the public input,” she said. “There has been a big public process, and I think at this point for the council to not support this really puts in question any kind of public engagement we would ask of our community members in the future.”

Local artist Brandon Ross said he believes the Black Hawk Mini Park is a gathering place for the community, something that could be lost if The Lens is placed there.

“I think people do go to Black Hawk Park, there’s a lot that goes on there: dance, music, fairs, things like that,” he said. “I don’t see in this particular project anything that involves the community at large.”

City Councilor Kingsley Botchway, who had previously supported the funding, voted against it on Tuesday.

“I think there does need to be a better collaboration as far as making sure people are a part of that process,” he said.

Funding was not the only concern community members voiced during the session. Several stakeholders, including the Downtown District, questioned whether the council supported the project at all.

Councilor Rockne Cole said the council would vote on whether to support the project as a whole at the council’s March 23 meeting.