Challenging stereotypes at UI

Hannah+Dobroski+a+freshman+at+the+University+of+Iowa+holds+up+her+sign+for+Hawks+Dont+Hate+at+Burge+Hall+on+Tuesday%2C+March+1%2C+2016.+
Jordan Gale
Hannah Dobroski a freshman at the University of Iowa holds up her sign for Hawks Don’t Hate at Burge Hall on Tuesday, March 1, 2016.

By Corey Simmons

Supporters of a photo campaign that aims to deconstruct stereotypes hope for their biggest turnout this year.

Hawks Don’t Hate, an annual campaign sponsored by Herky C.A.R.E.S., was held for the fifth time Tuesday.

The photo campaign allows students who are part of minority groups to challenge stereotypes by sharing how they defy them.

Last year, 300 photos were taken. That means 300 or more people attended because more than one person can pose for a photograph. The project aims to have 400 photos total taken this year, which would be its largest turnout ever.

Erin McFerrin, the adviser afor Hawks Don’t Hate’s, said around 12 peer educators and around 40 volunteers are involved with the project.

“This has been more of a celebration in the past about people accepting their identities,” McFerrin said. “But we have changed that into people acknowledging their identity and how they can defy the stereotypes in which they associate with.”

She said her goal is to make “students feel comfortable in an uncomfortable situation.”

The Hawks Don’t Hate project takes students through a process in which they are asked what stereotypes they feel they fall under, how the stereotypes affect them, and how they continue to defy stereotypes.

“It is the students’ participation that makes all the work put into the event worthwhile,” McFerrin said. “I get to learn so much about the students that participate, and we get to take a stand against stereotypes.”

Rachel Schupick, a volunteer with the organization, said recent national events, such as the protests at the University of Missouri, make the project more relevant.

“Being involved with Herky C.A.R.E.S. has led me to change my career path,” Schupick said. “It is truly eye-opening all the diverse people I have met and how they have all affected my life. We want to show that the University of Iowa is different, that we accept people for who they are.”

UI freshman Lucas Kieffer, an event attendee, also said the event was eye-opening.

“There was such a positive atmosphere,” he said. “The volunteers do a great job making the process very open and comfortable. There is a feeling of acceptance.”

The Hawks Don’t Hate project will be held again in Hillcrest today.