Editorial: Should Iowa City settle on The Lens?

lens
lens

Iowa City is focused on The Lens. The proposed $500,000 artwork by renowned artist Cecil Balmond could serve as a central hub for the Pedestrian Mall. But it hasn’t been smooth sailing for the massive stone circle, and the work faces criticism on numerous fronts.

The Iowa City City Council sat flat on a 3-3 vote to spend $50,000 on fundraising for the artwork on Feb. 2. The city councilors are scheduled to vote on the project again this evening. Some councilors have expressed concern about the spending of taxpayer dollars. The request for funds is very late in the planning process;. the people behind the project had decided on the artist, location, and sculpture before approaching the City Council.

Even if the vote is against funding the sculpture, the project will still proceed but will face steeper fundraising goals as a result. In addition to the cost, some have taken umbrage with the artist chosen. At the onset, the project searched for an artist with connections to Iowa. Balmond has an impressive résumé, but the word “Iowa” can’t be found there.

Still, the project managers are adamant that this is what downtown needs. They envision the work being a place where people meet, take photos, and relax. In theory, the sculpture would act as a centralizing staple and attraction for Ped Mall businesses. Few argue with this premise; it all sounds quite positive. The aesthetic of the sculpture itself, though, has also been called into question.

The sculpture supposedly embraces the heritage of Iowa, Iowa City, and Iowans. In practice, the sculpture is a massive stone ring, set at an angle. Inside the ring are stone poles that give the look similar to harp or lyre strings. There has been support for the ring, but it has its fair share of naysayers. Still, art is subjective, and many will have opinions. Whether the art piece will commence is largely up to the council’s support, and the councilors have expressed their willingness to hear all opinions from the community that wish to be heard before their next vote.

Proponents of a sculpture in the space, but not The Lens, have pointed to a number of creative alternatives. One possibility is an “Energy Tree.” That is a tree-like sculpture with solar panels built in. At the base, pedestrians could charge phones and cameras, and it would provide free Wi-Fi. A sculpture of this type was first designed and built in Bristol, England, and has enjoyed success in that community.

The Daily Iowan Editorial Board is in favor of a public-art project in downtown Iowa City. The potential for a landmark sculpture where people congregate and bring their business is entirely compelling.

Whether The Lens is the best choice is up for debate. The city councilors should take community members’ voices into consideration before making their decision, and the project managers behind The Lens may want to do the same, especially if the community is sour toward the project all together.