For Hawkeye baseball, more success beckons

Hawkeye Tyler Peyton talks to press during media day in the Jacobson Football Operations Building on Thursday. Peyton, a prized pitcher who also plays first base, declined an offer to play for the Cincinnati Reds in order to return to Iowa. (The Daily Iowan/Mary Mathis)

Coming off a 41-win season and its first NCAA Tournament Regional appearance in 25 years, the Iowa baseball team is hungry for even more success in 2016.

On Thursday, head coach Rick Heller and the Hawkeyes held their annual media day at the Hansen Football Performance Center to kick off their newest campaign, seeking to build on the surprising success the team had last year.

As the team prepares for the season-opening series at Dallas Baptist next weekend, Heller and his players addressed the long off-season, filling some crucial holes, and expectations for the new season.

Peyton’s return

After right-handed pitcher Tyler Peyton was selected by the Cincinnati Reds in the 33rd round of the 2015 MLB draft, there was concern that the Hawkeyes might lose a key member of their starting rotation.

But hope was restored after Peyton declined Cincinnati’s offer, opting to return for his senior season.

“[Peyton returning] was a huge bonus for us, getting one of the best players in the Big Ten and one of the best players in the country to come back to school,” Heller said.

[youtube id=”DOHeA9GGz3k” mode=”normal”]

Peyton, who was Iowa’s Friday night starter last year, ended 2015 with a 7-4 record and a 3.03 ERA. He also led the team with a .337 batting average, picking up third-team All-American honors from D1Baseball.com and the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association as a utility player — Peyton also plays first base.

“I just wanted to be a part of this program for one more year,” he said. “[The decision] came easier when I knew that I was coming back to such a great program and great coaches.”

Impact freshmen

Heller is optimistic that some of his incoming freshmen can help fill crucial holes left by such players as second baseman Jake Mangler and pitcher Blake Hickman — a Chicago White Sox draft pick.

Zach Daniels, a Cedar Rapids Kennedy standout, received high praise from the coach. Daniels was ranked as a top-500 prospect out of high school and is listed as a right-handed pitcher and infielder.

“Daniels played extremely well for Cedar Rapids Kennedy,” Heller said. “I think he’ll have both a role on the mound, and he’ll help us out as a position player.”

Heller also spoke highly of outfielder Robert Neustrom, an incoming freshman from Sioux City North.

“Robert has played very well this fall and early season indoors,” Heller said. “There are a lot of guys who are really doing a good job and really fighting for spots.”

Perfecting the weekend rotation

Iowa’s weekend series pitching rotation still has a position to be filled, Heller said. Peyton will be the team’s Friday night starter, with Calvin Mathews holding the Sunday starting position.

Mathews went 5-3 with a 2.45 ERA in 2015, earning second-team All-Big Ten honors. The Bloomfield, Iowa, native said the Sunday spot was the best option for him this year.

“When I was a Friday guy going out there throwing 100 pitches, it kind of took its toll on my arm,” Mathews said. “[The Sunday spot] is kind of a nice role for me.”

Heller said the Saturday pitcher was still up for grabs and would be determined in the first few weeks of the season.