UI gets its goat

An example of a goat similar to the one that went missing. (University of Iowa)

The search for “William the Goat” is over.

A University of Iowa Public Safety dispatcher confirmed that the goat, which disappeared on Jan. 29, was captured on Monday and returned to the UI Research Park.

The goat was recovered around 3:30 p.m. near the intersection of First Avenue and Auburn East Lane, between Coralville and North Liberty, according to a press release from the UI Office of Research and Economic Development.

The release also stated veterinarians found the animal in good health despite its venture into the “wild.”

The goat eluded capture for 11 days after it escaped from a portable carrier during a transfer operation.

The disappearance caused People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals to send a letter to the UI and file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

PETA accused the UI of violating the Animal Welfare Act, which sets minimum standards of care for animals involved in research and called for an investigation. The organization also said the goat should be retired to an accredited sanctuary after it was found.

The goat’s disappearance led to the creation of a Twitter account, which fictionally chronicled its whereabouts.

— By Cindy Garcia