Donors aim to outdo each other at Big Event

The crowd sways with DJs during the fifth hour of the 22nd Dance Marathon in the Iowa Union Memorial on Saturday, Feb. 6, 2016. Dance Marathon dancers can’t sleep through the whole 24 hours of the marathon. (The Daily Iowan/Courtney Hawkins)

By Tom Ackerman

@Tom_AckermanDI

As Dance Marathon rolls into the early morning, high fundraising from donors proves apparent.

Students from several student organizations on campus work to break personal and school bests in raising money to aid cancer research and support families in need.

Nicole Meiricke, a student operator at Dance Marathon, said Pi Kappa Phi, a fraternity on campus, broke the University of Iowa record at the event with their $43,000 raised.

“It’s not hard to get people involved based on the numbers,” she said. “Over 100 more donors are here this year from last time.”

Other Greek life members said large amounts have been raised and the process has been worth while and exciting to be a part of.

A lot of us are involved,” said Lauren Hudson, a first-time DM attendee and member of the Chi Omega Sorority. “It’s definitely harder than I thought, but we have raised over $100,000.”

She also said many of her sisters in the group are active and hold leadership positions, which helped motivate her and two of her friends to join this year’s Big Event.

In addition, those in the community, such as the local Best Buy store employees, have come to donate their time as it has been in the past.

Joe Carinci, a Geek Squad member, said the company is hosting two different rooms in the Iowa Memorial Union and has 30 TVs for the event.

“It’s for the kids,” he said. “Anything to give back is something worth doing,”

Carinci said Best Buy has been volunteering for Dance Marathon for at least five years now.

Mercedes Stahl, a worker for the Dancer Incentive Programsaid her organization raises money for the hospital itself, on campus, or UI Hospitals and Clinics. In addition to offering incentives like wrist bands for students, the program asks larger companies to donate to the cause too.

Students Today, Alumni Tomorrow — the biggest student organization on campus — had large turnouts as well. While highly active and participation is encouraged, member Sarah Brokus, said their organization requires members to fundraise $500 if they choose to volunteer for the event. The groups often give out incentives, such as hats for extra money raised.

She said a pre-medicine organization has beaten them out for fundraising this year.

“There’s still time,” she said with optimism. “I think it’s a great competition to have and it’s a friendly one,”

Individuals and organizations are keeping fingers crossed for a record breaking year, FTK.