Who will win the Super Bowl?

www.norebbo.com
3d illustration of an NFL logo behind a transparent silver American football over a metallic silk background

Denver Broncos
This is, without a doubt, the most important thing I will write in the *DI* this week. The Broncos are the story of year, and they will win the Super Bowl.

If nothing else, you should watch because a backup quarterback is leading his team to the Super Bowl. Of course, that backup, at 39 years old, is also the oldest quarterback to ever start a Super Bowl. Think of that story. Never mind that backup is Peyton Manning, the greatest quarterback of our time.

The Broncos will win the Super Bowl. Their defense will carry them, as it has all season, and the offense will do enough for the Sheriff to ride into the sunset a champion.

Denver’s defense held the mighty Patriots, yes, the mighty New England Patriots, with all of Tom Brady’s weapons at his disposal, to just 18 points. When it mattered most, the defense buckled down, not allowing

Gronk or the rest of the Patriot receiving corps to tie the game at 20.

On offense, as long as Gary Kubiak doesn’t call a play that causes Peyton to fumble on the first snap, it’s over.

The Peyton-doesn’t-show-up narrative is simply unfounded. This season, likely Peyton’s last, despite the rocky start, follows a Western hero’s tale.

Manning’s storied career, much like the career of a Western hero, precedes our tale. We see only Peyton’s steady decline thanks to a fatal flaw, his foot, through the Bronco’s first nine games.

A young hero takes over and falters, and the people, so eager to run the hero out of town, cry for his help.

Peyton answered the people’s call in spectacular fashion, leading a comeback win against the Chargers.

The villain this week, the Carolina Panthers, stand no chance against our hero on his redemption quest.

When all’s said and done, Peyton will ride into the sunset, once again, a champion.
— Ian Murphy

Carolina Panthers
This is pretty simple, isn’t it? The Carolina Panthers will roll, right? Well I’m not so sure about that, but I do think the Panthers will be crowned Super Bowl champions.

They are 17-1 on the year, 15-1 in the regular season. A quarter of their regular-season wins came against playoff teams. They beat the Seattle Seahawks twice.

And Cam Newton is a certified stud. The soon-to-be MVP of the league completed 60 percent of his passes this year for almost 4,000 yards, with 35 passing scores and a rating of 99.4. Add in 10 rushing touchdowns, and he had the most productive year in the NFL and one of the most productive of all-time.

And it’s not just that he played in the horrible NFC South. These are his statistics in his last three games, playoffs included:

Versus Tampa Bay, the No. 10 defense in Week 17, Newton completed 80 percent of his passes for 293 yards and 2 touchdowns.

Versus Seattle, the No. 2 defense in the Divisional Round, Newton threw for 161 yards and a touchdown on only 22 attempts.

Against Arizona, the No. 5 defense in the NFC Championship, Newton threw for 335 yards and 2 touchdowns.

Do I think Peyton Manning has a little bit of magic left? I do. That is why I think the game will be closer than a lot of people suspect. But

Manning isn’t the same Manning of old. He is a shell of his old self, and has admitted he is not able to make all of the throws anymore.

So the Panthers, behind Newton and a solid defense, will win Super Bowl 50.
— Blake Dowson