Editorial: Area needs to fight child poverty

Poverty doesn’t just affect today’s workers but tomorrow’s as well. Johnson County has a rapidly increasing rate of childhood poverty. A report by the Child and Family Policy Center found a 25.5 percent increase in the number of children living in poverty. Today, more than one out of every 10 children in Johnson County, 11.3 percent, live in poverty.

The stresses on a child in poverty have been shown to affect success in the classroom. Students may have a hard time focusing when their homes may no longer be there after class or if they have consistent hunger. Compounding this effect is the evolution of the working poor class in the United States. Many children living in poverty have parents working one or more jobs, leaving their children without guidance and support at home in order to pay for the most basic necessities. During the school year, these children can depend on free or reduced school lunches. During the summer, three square meals become a fantasy.

All of these issues are in addition to the already often painful and always awkward transition from childhood into adulthood. The social pressures of fitting in and participating in activities (that may cost money) are more poignant for a child living in poverty over their counterparts.

Difficulty in school can lead to further trouble in the future. Kids who grow up in poverty are more likely to become pregnant as teens or drop out of high school. Professional prospects evaporate with the failure to acquire a high-school diploma. This process of impoverishment is perpetual, keeping Johnson County’s (and the nation’s) poverty rates high.

Solutions to Johnson County’s poverty problems will come at a local and state level first. Iowa City City Councilor Kingsley Botchway has specifically noted affordable housing and raising the minimum wage as possible solutions. Johnson County does have some of the highest living costs in Iowa. High food and housing costs disproportionately affect low-income households, consuming high percentages of their income.

In the meantime, nonprofit organizations are supporting and feeding the youth of Johnson County. They provide meals during the summer, tutoring, and programs designed to equip the children of low-income households with professional skills and mentorship. These programs often work in conjunction with the community, and more resources from the local and state government can ensure their work affects as many kids as possible.

The Daily Iowan Editorial Board believes the rate of child poverty in Johnson County is unacceptable. Before addressing the larger issues, our communities must step up support for the impoverished youth. The treatment of these symptoms will not be enough. The cure to alleviating childhood poverty is by addressing poverty — starting with a rise in the minimum wage and affordable housing construction.