Hillary Clinton supporters moved by experience

Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton smiles at the audience during the photo spray before the start of the Democratic debate on Saturday, Nov. 14. The debate took place in Sheslow Auditorium on Drake University’s campus. (The Daily Iowan/Brooklynn Kascel)

The Daily Iowan has reporters around Iowa City and Des Moines covering Iowa’s first-in-the-nation caucuses.

The DI has spoken with several individuals caucusing for Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton, citing her long-standing experience on the political stage, while others said they believed Clinton would be the only one to defeat a Republican in November.

“She’s the best prepared person running for president ever,” said Jerry Loewenberg, 87, a ten-time caucus-goer at MacBride Hall. “She’s been a senator, Secretary of State, she’s been in Washington politics through her husband. It makes her awfully prepared. Plus I agree with what she stands for.”

“It’s exciting,” said Brandon Cohen, 20, a first-time caucus goer at the Pomerantz Center. “I like what Hillary stands for and she has the most experience. She’s very humble and we need someone who has background and can get our country back on track.”

“I feel like she’s one of the most competent. Bernie focuses on economic policies and not other ones, like foreign policy, which Hillary has more experience with as Secretary of State,” said Nicholas Morgan, 18, first-time caucus-goer. “I don’t see that level of competence with other candidates, Republican or Democrat.”

“I really like that she’s pro-choice. Her goals are achievable with a four year or eight year term. She focuses on women, which gets overlooked,” said Austin Knott, 21, first-time caucus-goer at MacBride Hall. “The male presidents we’ve had say they take care of women, but a woman president really would. It often gets said that “what if we have a woman president and it’s that time of the month.”

Other caucus-goers said they identified strongly with Clinton.

“I’ve caucused many times and I caucused for Hillary in 2008 in Seattle. She’s experienced and she’s a leader, a fighter, and she works on behalf of all people,” said caucus volunteer Kate Corcoran, 68, at the Pomerantz Center. “We’re just checking people in and making them feel welcome and we hope we will have a good night. I’ve worked as a volunteer and rang doorbells for 10 weeks. Hillary and I are the same age, from the same time. We graduated high school and college in the same years so that’s another reason I’m for her.”

“Clinton is the best prepared. She’s already handled these issues and I admired her guts. I caucused for her last time and I’m going to again.” said Jim Hawtrey, 78, a life long caucus-goer at the Iowa City Public Library.

“She’s a strong, strong woman. When people ask why I support Hillary, I supported Obama a lot and she was an important part of his cabinet,” said Devin Francis, 19, first-time caucus-goer at the Iowa City Public Library.