Iowa wrestlers smack around Wisconsin, 31-3

Iowa 197 lbs. Nathan Burak wrestles against Northwestern’s Alex Polizzi at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Friday, Jan. 23, 2015 in Iowa City, Iowa. Burak defeated Polizzi by decision, 4-3. The Hawkeyes defeated the Wildcats, 38-3. (The Daily Iowan/Joshua Housing)

Iowa wins 9-of-10 matches to dominate Wisconsin and win its 12th-straight conference road dual.

By Jordan Hansen

The Iowa wrestling team improved to 11-0 on the season in Madison, Wisconsin, on Jan. 15, dominating the Badgers in a 31-3 dual victory that started at 197 pounds.

In the only ranked-vs.-ranked matchup of the night, Iowa’s No. 4 Cory Clark downed Wisconsin’s No. 7 Ryan Taylor in a 7-3 decision.

After falling to the now-second-ranked Zane Richards of Illinois on Jan. 8, Clark has rattled off two-straight wins.

“I have to continue to move and get my angles, and I feel like I did a pretty good job of that,” Clark said in a release. “Obviously, there is room for improvement.”

The Hawkeyes got 3 bonus-point wins on the night, one from No. 2 125-pounder Thomas Gilman and another from No. 8 184-pounder Sammy Brooks. Iowa’s No. 3 197-pounder Nathan Burak also won by major decision in the first match of the night.

Gilman, who has won by bonus points in 13 of his 15 matches this season, topped Wisconsin’s Johnny Jimenez, 23-7, in a tech fall victory. The junior is now 15-0 on the season, 62-9 in his career.

Iowa also seems to have figured out what the team wants to do at 141 pounds as Topher Carton won his third-straight Big Ten match and improved to 10-4 on the season. Carton beat the Badger’s Gabe Grahek, 4-2.

“I felt like I was in good control,” Carton said in a release. “But I’m not pushing the pace and feeling when they’re ready to break.”

Iowa totaled 32 takedowns to Wisconsin’s 4 and outscored the Badgers in match points, 88-37.

The Hawkeyes are now 5-0 in Big Ten dual meets this season.

“We have guys that love to compete and guys who love to wrestle,” Iowa head coach Tom Brands said in a release. “They come in, they go on the road, wherever it is, they love to wrestle. We’re at home next against Purdue, and then we have a tough test at Nebraska a week from Sunday, so we have to get better.”

Match results (Iowa in bold)

Iowa 31, Wisconsin 3

197 — No. 3 Nathan Burak major decision Eric Peissig, 20-7; (4-0 Iowa)

285 — No. 8 Sam Stoll decision Brock Horwarth, 3-1; (7-0 Iowa)

125 — No. 2 Thomas Gilman technical fall Johnny Jimenez, 23-7; (12-0 Iowa)

133 — No. 4 Cory Clark decision No. 7 Ryan Taylor, 7-3; (15-0 Iowa)

141 — Topher Carton decision Gabe Grahek, 4-2; (18-0 Iowa)

149 — No. 2 Brandon Sorensen decision Andrew Crone, 6-3; (21-0 Iowa)

157 — Edwin Cooper Jr. decision T.J. Ruschell, 8-2; (24-0 Iowa)

165 — No. 3 Isaac Jordan decision Patrick Rhoads, 6-1; (24-3 Iowa)

174 — No. 9 Alex Meyer decision No. 19 Ricky Robertson, 2-0; (27-3 Iowa)

184 — No. 8 Sammy Brooks major decision Ryan Christiansen, 14-6; (31-3 Iowa)