Around the Big Ten

Iowa defensive backs Miles Taylor and Jordan Lomax celebrates Lomax’s interception during the Iowa-Maryland game at Kinnick Stadium on Saturday, Oct. 31, 2015. The Hawkeyes defeated the Terrapins to stay undefeated, 31-15. (The Daily Iowan/Margaret Kispert)

1. Michigan State

If it came down to Connor Cook and C.J. Beathard, who would you pick?

2. Iowa

For the Hawks and Spartans, this game is the difference between the playoff and the endless cluster of meaningless bowl games.

3. Ohio State

The win over Michigan was this team’s first convincing and impressive one of the year. Unfortunately it came too late for the defending champs.

4. Michigan

We knew this year wasn’t going to be perfect, but it was still damn good all things considered. Harbaugh for President.

5. Northwestern

The Wildcats imploded midseason but still won impressive games with Stanford and Wisconsin. They deserve a January bowl game.

6. Wisconsin

The Badgers lost to the three best teams they saw in 2015 and won everything else. That’s okay for Paul Chryst in year one, but year two will have higher expectations.

7. Penn State

This team benefitted from an easy Big Ten schedule with a few real tough games. Like Wisconsin, when the going got tough, they got going in a big way. Expect the “hot seat” questions to pile up for James Franklin if the Nittany Lions struggle in 2016.

8. Indiana

The Hoosiers rallied from an 0-6 start in conference to win their last two games. At 6-6, this prolific offense will a well-deserved spot in a bowl game.

9. Nebraska

Tommy Armstrong Jr. threw just enough off his back foot to get the Huskers here.

10. Minnesota

For starters, the Gophers haven’t beaten Wisconsin since 2003. That’s a problem.

11. Illinois

Bill Cubit will remain head coach for two more years — a sign of the program’s ambitions of mediocrity.

12. Maryland

Melo Trimble could play wide receiver or something, right?

13. Rutgers

Lost the battle for that coveted No. 12 spot last week.

14. Purdue

Reality show idea: Harbaugh, Nick Saban, and Urban Meyer should take turns coaching this program and whoever gets to six wins is takes the prize.

Offensive impact: Jordan Canzeri, Iowa

Position: Running back

Year: Senior

The reliable Canzeri is Iowa’s leading rusher, and an integral part of its offensive attack. If he has a big day, it will keep Connor Cook off the field longer and wear the Spartan defense down late in the game.

Defensive Impact: Shalique Calhoun, Michigan State
Position: Defensive end
Year: Senior

Twice this season has Calhoun registered more than three tackles for loss in a game. He’s a game-changer if you don’t neutralize him, which of course is easier said than done.

Game to Watch: No. 4 Iowa vs. No. 5 Michigan State

When: 7:17 pm Saturday

Where: Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis