Kudos to council on homeless shelter 

Rachael Westergard
The temporary homeless shelter is seen on Tuesday, Jan. 27, 2015 in Iowa City, IA. The shelter opens in the evening and provides donated bedding and cots for those in need. (The Daily Iowan/Rachael Westergard)

On Monday, the Iowa City City Council approved much needed-authorization for funding of a new temporary homeless shelter. The council OK’d a contribution of $20,000, with the possibility of an additional $10,000 by City Manager Tom Markus if necessary. This will prove pivotal to accommodating the homeless population in Iowa City this winter.

Frigid temperatures pose on an obvious threat to the often-overlooked members of this community, and it is in the best interest for the city as a whole to take appropriate action to solve an issue that will only be exacerbated by the falling temperature.

A lack of permanent housing should not serve as motivation to deter any individual from receiving the assistance necessary to live humanely, especially in the case of Iowa winters, which have potentially lethal consequences.

The City Council should be applauded for its efforts in securing viable temporary housing for those who would be otherwise left to brave the elements, especially so given the difficulty in finding a location for temporary homeless housing. The location of the previous temporary shelter, a former Aldi, 1534 S. Gilbert St., was not available this year.

Ideally, a permanent location for a homeless shelter during the periods of the year fraught with inclement weather should be secured, but in light of that, officials in Iowa City have demonstrated their commitment to serving all members of the community.

Unfortunately, drastic changes and improvements take time to fully implement, but that should only underscore their necessity. It is unacceptable to turn a blind eye toward the underrepresented members of this community, but acknowledgment is not enough, either.

The progress made on this problem can be seen as continuation of efforts made in the previous year, when Iowa City was the largest financial contributor to the cause with a $20,000 expenditure and contributions of significant staff resources from the local police.

We should hope to see this trend increase in the future until a point is reached in which all in need of shelter will have access to it. Compassion and decency should and must be extended to all regardless of social or economic station. Regardless of their housing situation, there is no individual deserving to suffer when the resources to alleviate that is within reach.

A community has a responsibility to all of its inhabitants, thus making the prospect of leaving those lacking the resources to house themselves to suffer intolerable. It should not be an issue of money or politics but rather the actions we as a community are willing to make in order to extend basic compassion to those around us.